PDA

View Full Version : Apple apps no longer run some time after 10.2.1

Targon
Sep 22, 2002, 09:32 PM
Updated to 10.2.1 seemed fine for a few hours. The all of a sudden i noticed mail.app woudnt launch. I decided to try a few other apps, strangely they never launched either. After that i decided to open all the app's in the utilities folder and none of them launch, neither do any of the Apple app's in the applications folder.

Surprisingly, all the 3rd party apps launch without issue, only the Apple supplied app's and utilities refuse to launch.

Not sure what prompted this behavior. This frequent re-install bizo is becomming tiresome. I have yet to re-install WinXP for over a year that it has been on the PC, yet OSX has needed about 6 re-installs due to various unexplained screwups within the same time :-(

Anyone else unable to launch Apple apps like me?

benh57
Sep 22, 2002, 10:21 PM
Um, why reinstall? You just need to restart to solve that. I had this earlier as well. The apps do eventually finish launching if you wait, and if you have Console open you will probably see the message "MIG Server died".

Only has happened once to me on 10.2.1. Restart and all is well.

Targon
Sep 22, 2002, 10:32 PM
i relogged, restarted, fsck -y'd......none of the mentioned apps launched after doing these things.

I tried running repair privileges but the app crashes. I can't runs disk utility, it wont launch. I decided to run it from the CD. It managed to fix a shiotload of permissions and now the apps launch.

Im simply floored at how this OS can get so massively screwed up to the point of being non-functional due to permissions. Something drastically needs to be worked out with this OS. I have had these toubles many times before for no apparent reason.

Mack
Sep 22, 2002, 10:52 PM
I've never had that problem, or anything remotely resembling that problem, with any version of OS X.

Brass
Sep 22, 2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Targon:
I have had these toubles many times before for no apparent reason.

Well, you're in the extreme minority there. If this keeps happening to you over and over again, and not to everybody else, it does beg the question... What are YOU doing to the system? :)

Sounds like you prefer your Windows XP, and if it works better for you, then perhaps you should stick to that.

EDIT...

But seriously, if you're not doing anything that could be causing such problems yourself, you must have some faulty hardware, and I suggest you get it repaired. As you can see, this is not normal for OS X, and most people, (including myself) have never had to re-install OS X, except when updating to a newer version, or upgrading a hard drive, etc.

Footy
Sep 22, 2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Brass:

Well, you're in the extreme minority there. If this keeps happening to you over and over again, and not to everybody else, it does beg the question... What are YOU doing to the syste? :)

Sounds like you prefer your Windows XP, and if it works better for you, then perhaps you should stick to that.

Ouch! :D

Mactoid
Sep 23, 2002, 01:19 AM
Not sure what prompted this behavior. This frequent re-install bizo is becomming tiresome. I have yet to re-install WinXP for over a year that it has been on the PC, yet OSX has needed about 6 re-installs due to various unexplained screwups within the same time :-(It's unfortunate that you have such troubles, but I have not had to reinstall OS X ever. I've been using it since the beta.

Person Man
Sep 23, 2002, 02:43 PM
i relogged, restarted, fsck -y'd......none of the mentioned apps launched after doing these things.

I tried running repair privileges but the app crashes. I can't runs disk utility, it wont launch. I decided to run it from the CD. It managed to fix a shiotload of permissions and now the apps launch.

Im simply floored at how this OS can get so massively screwed up to the point of being non-functional due to permissions.

You're not logging into root all the time and using the system that way, are you? When you do that, permissions gradually get changed when you do that, to the point that when you log in as an Admin user or a "regular joe" user things are so screwed up you have to run repair permissions to fix them.

At any rate, I have been running 10.2.1 myself, and have seen NONE of the problems people here seem to be having on a regular basis. 867 MHz QuickSilver with a Maxtor drive that decided to start dying on me after 10.2.1 installed... bought a new hard drive and used Carbon Copy Cloner to move the installation... didn't lose a single file, no permissions were messed up, and I haven't had a problem... actually, I haven't had to reinstall 10.2 since installing it in the first place, and I installed it as a CLEAN installation to make sure there would be no problems.

Oh yes, I also don't move any Apple-supplied applications from their default locations.