PDA

View Full Version : Any way to view Character Palette without MenuBar icon?

Gametes
Sep 23, 2002, 12:27 AM
I'd prefer not to waste my space with a menu that has 1 function in it...does anybody know of a way I can set a link to launch it or something?

Why isn't it just another option in the "Fonts" submenu, like "Show Fonts", "Show colors"..."Show Character Palette"?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, OS X has a "Character Palette" which shows all the unicode characters in the fonts on the system...very cool. You can turn it on in the international tab of System Prefs. Unfortunately, it's got moving target syndrome and is pointless up in the menubar.

Brass
Sep 23, 2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Gametes:
I'd prefer not to waste my space with a menu that has 1 function in it...does anybody know of a way I can set a link to launch it or something?

Why isn't it just another option in the "Fonts" submenu, like "Show Fonts", "Show colors"..."Show Character Palette"?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, OS X has a "Character Palette" which shows all the unicode characters in the fonts on the system...very cool. You can turn it on in the international tab of System Prefs. Unfortunately, it's got moving target syndrome and is pointless up in the menubar.

This may not be quite what you're after, but there's always the Key Caps application (in /Applications/Utilities).

It will show you the glyph for each keyboard key, and for each combination of keys your press, for which ever font you choose.

Developer
Sep 23, 2002, 01:48 AM
Why isn't it just another option in the "Fonts" submenu, like "Show Fonts", "Show colors"..."Show Character Palette"?You can show it from the popup menu in the Fonts palette.

Gametes
Sep 23, 2002, 11:24 AM
That's close, but a poor choice I think on Apple's part.
Any easy way for one click access? I tried duplicating characterpalette.component n the app folder and making it a .app, but no go...guess I don't know what I'm doing :) - hey, it had the same internal look!

Guy Incognito
Sep 23, 2002, 11:29 AM
That's close, but a poor choice I think on Apple's part.
Any easy way for one click access? I tried duplicating characterpalette.component n the app folder and making it a .app, but no go...guess I don't know what I'm doing :) - hey, it had the same internal look!

Why can't you just make an AppleScript again?

schalliol
Mar 17, 2004, 08:21 PM
They killed key caps, right? In Font Book, you can't see how to make a character, just what characters there are. OS X help says "Typing special characters and symbols:
You can enter special characters and symbols into your documents by choosing Special Characters from your text application's Edit menu." Pawning it off on MS Word, eh? Text Edit doesn't have it. How are you supposed to know that option-shift-8 is degree symbol w/o it?