PDA

View Full Version : deleting folders I don't "own" but really do

rotuts
Sep 23, 2002, 01:41 PM
Hello
im updated to 10.2.1 and have leftover folders from an intial installation of an early OSX when I was a different user. Its oneee computer for fone person. as there were some sort of problems with that early intalation Apple told me to creat a new user, which solved those early problem but the folder created with that user remain and Id like to clean up and get rid of thm.

thanks. rotuts

hyperizer
Sep 23, 2002, 01:43 PM
Yeah, usually OS X creates a directory for disabled accounts. The only way to get rid of it that I know of is from OS 9.

mitchell_pgh
Sep 23, 2002, 04:58 PM
if you are the ownly user, simply become root and erase them...

sudo...

There is no need to reboot the system for a little thing like that... (P.S. This is a good thing that you can't erase them...)

Fallout
Sep 23, 2002, 06:25 PM
Use Netinfo Manager to erase them. Figurwe the steps out for yourself, it isn't hard.

Brass
Sep 23, 2002, 06:34 PM
Do this in the terminal:

sudo rm -r /blah/blah/blah

(replace /blah/blah/blah with the name of the directory you want to delete).

Or type:

sudo rm -r

and then drag the folder to the terminal window, and it will type the rest for you.

The "sudo" means "switch user to 'root' and then do this". Ie, do this as the super-user which has access to everything.

You'll need to enter you own password to use sudo. If you've never used sudo before you'll get a warning message about how dangerous it can be.

"rm" means remove (ie, delete). -r is an argument to rm than means if it's a directory, recursively delete it's contents before deleting it.

Additional warning... using sudo and rm can be very dangerous. You cannot undo it if you delete the wrong thing.