PDA

View Full Version : Lost ability to do screenshots under 10.2.1

Don Pickett
Sep 23, 2002, 03:42 PM
This one has me completely confused. I have lost all ability to do a screenshot under 10.2.1. All the normal key commands do precisely bubkiss and, even weirder, when I checked my Tinkertool prefs, the choice for screenshot format was greyed out.

Any clues whatsoever? Pismo 500, 10.2.1, 9.2.2, 1 GB RAM.

KidRed
Sep 23, 2002, 03:51 PM
Same here. I posted the day after installing Jag and no body had a response. Nice to know I'm not alone. I wonder if there is a common thread you and I may have as I am on a dual gig. I do have tinkertool installed and my screenshot options is greyed as well.

BatmanPPC
Sep 23, 2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by KidRed:
Same here. I posted the day after installing Jag and no body had a response. Nice to know I'm not alone. I wonder if there is a common thread you and I may have as I am on a dual gig. I do have tinkertool installed and my screenshot options is greyed as well.

Tinkertool option is greyed out for ALL Jaguar users.

I'm taking screenshots just fine.

KidRed
Sep 23, 2002, 05:36 PM
O.K., so that has nothing to do with our issue- that we can no longer take screen caps under Jag. You can as well as others, but obviously there are those of us who can't. i was hoping that 10.2.1 would fix that but it didn't.

Anyone else?

BatmanPPC
Sep 23, 2002, 05:49 PM
O.K., so that has nothing to do with our issue- that we can no longer take screen caps under Jag. You can as well as others, but obviously there are those of us who can't. i was hoping that 10.2.1 would fix that but it didn't.

Anyone else?

If you hit command-shift-4 and then then space bar, does your cursor change to a camera?

KidRed
Sep 23, 2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by BatmanPPC:

If you hit command-shift-4 and then then space bar, does your cursor change to a camera?

No. That doesn't work along with the command+shift+3, command+shift+4, etc. I have to open snapz pro now. (Not that's that bad :) ) Just quicker to do a down and dirty screen cap but now i can't any longer under Jag.

moki
Sep 23, 2002, 07:55 PM

No. That doesn't work along with the command+shift+3, command+shift+4, etc. I have to open snapz pro now. (Not that's that bad :) ) Just quicker to do a down and dirty screen cap but now i can't any longer under Jag.

Might just want to add Snapz Pro X to your login items, and be done with it :)

BatmanPPC
Sep 23, 2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by moki:

Might just want to add Snapz Pro X to your login items, and be done with it :)

Hahaha .. does he get a free copy for his pains?

BatmanPPC
Sep 23, 2002, 07:59 PM

I'm just shooting in the dark here.

If you create a new user, is that user able to take screenshots?

KidRed
Sep 23, 2002, 11:08 PM

Hahaha .. does he get a free copy for his pains?

Came bundled with my dual gig :)

I will try that and loggin in as root as well.

off topic- why doesn't the quote buttons work in IE anymore here?

KidRed
Sep 23, 2002, 11:14 PM

i logged in as root and was able to take screen shots. i must say they are much improved.

So, the question is, what do I do now?

Don Pickett
Sep 23, 2002, 11:17 PM

i logged in as root and was able to take screen shots. i must say they are much improved.

So, the question is, what do I do now?

I'm going to try Apple's utility that fixes permissions. Tell you what happens.

Don Pickett
Sep 23, 2002, 11:26 PM
Downloaded the Repair Privileges Utility, and the ReadMe says, 10.1.5 only, so I will wait until someone tells me it's okay to use on 10.2.1.

Brass
Sep 23, 2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Don Pickett:
Downloaded the Repair Privileges Utility, and the ReadMe says, 10.1.5 only, so I will wait until someone tells me it's okay to use on 10.2.1.

Repair privileges in now part of the standard 10.2 and 10.2.1 distribution. It's built into the Disk Utility, and no longer a stand-alone application.

Don Pickett
Sep 24, 2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Brass:

Repair privileges in now part of the standard 10.2 and 10.2.1 distribution. It's built into the Disk Utility, and no longer a stand-alone application.

Ran repair privileges, and many privileges were repaired.

Still can't take a screenshot.

Esquare
Sep 24, 2002, 03:02 AM

Ran repair privileges, and many privileges were repaired.

Still can't take a screenshot.

Since the problem doesn't exist when you login as another user, I'd check my login items (quit them one by one) and/or preferences...

:)

EE

DasDaSein+
Sep 24, 2002, 05:29 AM
All this seems to be a serious bug in 10.2.1 since I lost ability to use any modifier key (except cmd. key) in any app over time. If you loose ability to take screen shots you won't be able to use the shift key for keyboard shortcuts in any app from that time ...happy rebooting.

malvolio
Sep 24, 2002, 08:04 AM
That's really bizarre. Never heard of that bug before.
Are you by any chance using one of those 3rd-party macro programs like QuicKeys or SimpleKeys? Or even have them on your machine?

KidRed
Sep 24, 2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by DasDaSein+:
All this seems to be a serious bug in 10.2.1 since I lost ability to use any modifier key (except cmd. key) in any app over time. If you loose ability to take screen shots you won't be able to use the shift key for keyboard shortcuts in any app from that time ...happy rebooting.

Well the use of the shift key hasn't happened in Photoshop or DreamWeaver, it seems to be exclusive to taking screen caps. I will try disabling the log in items,

KidRed
Sep 24, 2002, 12:38 PM
OK, I cleared the log in items and still no ability ot take screen shots. What's next?

BatmanPPC
Sep 24, 2002, 01:00 PM
OK, I cleared the log in items and still no ability ot take screen shots. What's next?

Back up your Preferences folder in Library and start from a clean slate. Logout .. login and try again. If it works something in the prefs is triggering the problem. If not restore your prefs and the hunt continues.

KidRed
Sep 24, 2002, 06:06 PM
K, I'll try that.

Don Pickett
Sep 24, 2002, 11:04 PM
K, I'll try that.

Tell me how it goes. You're my guniea pig, man!

Don Pickett
Sep 25, 2002, 11:44 PM
Bump

KidRed
Sep 25, 2002, 11:53 PM
hehe, sorry, been busy. I will try it tho, just gotta get a moment that I'm not working so I can play around with rebooting and everything.

Esquare
Sep 26, 2002, 03:52 AM
This one has me completely confused. I have lost all ability to do a screenshot under 10.2.1. All the normal key commands do precisely bubkiss and, even weirder, when I checked my Tinkertool prefs, the choice for screenshot format was greyed out.

Any clues whatsoever? Pismo 500, 10.2.1, 9.2.2, 1 GB RAM.

Probable solution! Do any of you guys by any chance use an alias to the OS9 desktop as your Desktop Folder in OSX? Well, not doing that anymore solved this issue in my case!

:D

EE

Don Pickett
Sep 26, 2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Esquare:

Probable solution! Do any of you guys by any chance use an alias to the OS9 desktop as your Desktop Folder in OSX? Well, not doing that anymore solved this issue in my case!

EE

I do I do I do.

Interesting.

KidRed
Sep 26, 2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Esquare:

EE

I do as well. So then what do you do? Delete the alias or what and how?

(Oh yea, deleting pref folder for the user does not work)

hotani
Sep 26, 2002, 02:56 PM
hmmmm - I can take screenshots, but they come out as .PDFs. I would really like to change that, but as mentioned earlier, the tinkertool prefs are greyed out...

malvolio
Sep 26, 2002, 03:00 PM
In Jaguar, screenshots can only be in pdf format. But once you have your pdf pic, open it in Preview and pick File > Export. You can then export the pic as any one of several formats, including jpeg, gif and tiff.

KidRed
Sep 26, 2002, 03:28 PM
So anyone know how to delete the alias to the 9 desktop or fix it so screenshots will work again?

Don Pickett
Sep 26, 2002, 04:29 PM
So anyone know how to delete the alias to the 9 desktop or fix it so screenshots will work again?

I can figger this out when I get home. Basically (if I remember) what I did was delete the Desktop folder in my /user folder and replace it with an alias to my OS 9 desktop folder. So, it seems to me, I delete the alias, make a folder called /me/Desktop, copy the contents of my OS 9 desktop folder to it, and see if that works. This is all done via the Terminal.

KidRed
Sep 26, 2002, 04:42 PM
Don- Let me know the terminal commands if you please, I just tried and i don't have priveleges and also, it seems, my desktop in root, and my desktop in user/ are both alias, so I'm not quite sure what to do.

Don Pickett
Sep 26, 2002, 05:08 PM
Don- Let me know the terminal commands if you please, I just tried and i don't have priveleges and also, it seems, my desktop in root, and my desktop in user/ are both alias, so I'm not quite sure what to do.

That's weird. You'll have to use sudo to do this, but I can't be exact until I get home. 9.2.2 at work and all that.

KidRed
Sep 26, 2002, 09:45 PM
Don- Any luck?

Don Pickett
Sep 26, 2002, 10:07 PM
Don- Any luck?

Still at work.

Aussie John
Sep 27, 2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by malvolio:
In Jaguar, screenshots can only be in pdf format. But once you have your pdf pic, open it in Preview and pick File > Export. You can then export the pic as any one of several formats, including jpeg, gif and tiff.

Hold the control key with the normal screenshot keys and the image will be saved to the clipboard. Im not sure what format it is though

Don Pickett
Sep 27, 2002, 12:47 AM
Don- Any luck?

It worked!!!

My system was set up with a folder on the root level named "Desktop" to which there were two aliases, one in my /user folder which OS X referenced, and on on the root level which OS 9 referenced.

I moved the files in the Desktop directory to a temp folder, deleted both aliases, created a folder called Desktop in my /user folder, copied the files back into it, and logged out. Now, the files are on my desktop and I can take a screenshot.

woot!

BatmanPPC
Sep 27, 2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Aussie John:

Hold the control key with the normal screenshot keys and the image will be saved to the clipboard. Im not sure what format it is though

It's just a picture in the clipboard. You can then take it to just about any image app and paste it.

Don Pickett
Sep 27, 2002, 02:57 AM
Now for the extra credit: someone figure out why having an alias a different desktop folder would kill screenshots. Is it, perhaps, because the mechanism for saving screenshots is hardwired into the OS and it couldn't parse a different folder location?

chris_h
Sep 27, 2002, 10:43 AM
Now for the extra credit: someone figure out why having an alias a different desktop folder would kill screenshots. Is it, perhaps, because the mechanism for saving screenshots is hardwired into the OS and it couldn't parse a different folder location?

yes.

KidRed
Sep 27, 2002, 11:58 AM

It worked!!!

My system was set up with a folder on the root level named "Desktop" to which there were two aliases, one in my /user folder which OS X referenced, and on on the root level which OS 9 referenced.

I moved the files in the Desktop directory to a temp folder, deleted both aliases, created a folder called Desktop in my /user folder, copied the files back into it, and logged out. Now, the files are on my desktop and I can take a screenshot.

woot!

Hey, what happened to the terminal help doing this? :)

Don Pickett
Sep 27, 2002, 01:15 PM
Except for making the temp folder and copying the files over, I did it all with the Terminal. rm and rmdir remove the aliases and folders, and mkdir makes new folders.

KidRed
Sep 27, 2002, 03:31 PM
Except for making the temp folder and copying the files over, I did it all with the Terminal. rm and rmdir remove the aliases and folders, and mkdir makes new folders.

hehe, ok, let's pretend that I don't know jack about the terminal. What could I copy and paste to do this?

Don Pickett
Sep 27, 2002, 07:02 PM

hehe, ok, let's pretend that I don't know jack about the terminal. What could I copy and paste to do this?

I will tell you how my system was set up, and you can apply it to your system.

I had a folder on the root level of my drive called "Desktop" which was my desktop folder. There was an alias to it in my /user directory, called "Desktop".

I made a temporary folder in my /user folder using the Finder and called it "temp". I copied the items from the folder called "Desktop" on the root level of my drive into "temp", using the Finder.

I fired up the terminal, and did this:

cd /
rmdir Desktop
cd ~
rm Desktop
mkdir Desktop

In other words, I changed to the root level of my drive, deleted the "Desktop" folder, changed my /user folder, deleted the alias called "Desktop", and made a new directory called "Desktop". Then, with the finder, I copied the files from the "temp" folder to the new "Desktop" folder in my /user folder.

Now I have a folder in my /user directory called "Desktop" which the machine will look to as the desktop folder. Only one more thing remained to be done:

cd /
mkdir Desktop

I changed to the root level and made a folder called "Desktop" which will be the Desktop Folder should I ever boot into 9.2.2 again.

As I said before, woot!

Don Pickett
Sep 28, 2002, 12:41 AM
Wait - now Classic won't start up. Gets about 95% of the wat there and hangs.

I don't know if I got the folder structure on the root level for the OS 9 Desktop Folder correct. There are two things, the actual folder and an alias. Can someone do a ls -al on their root level and show me what they have?

Don Pickett
Sep 28, 2002, 02:13 AM
Alright, never mind. For some reason taking the CD out of my CD drive fixed the problem.

moki
Sep 28, 2002, 02:33 AM
Kid -- seriously, since Snapz came bundled free on your machine, if you add it to the login items, you'll have it always available, with many more options than the built-in screen capture function. Might as well use it, no?

Don Pickett
Sep 28, 2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by moki:
Kid -- seriously, since Snapz came bundled free on your machine, if you add it to the login items, you'll have it always available, with many more options than the built-in screen capture function. Might as well use it, no?

1) Nice product plug
2) Nothing against Snapz Pro. I was more worried about the loss of functionality, as this is the sort of thing which can, sometimes, be indiciative of more serious problems under the hood. Plus, I learned more about OS X in the process.