PDA

View Full Version : iCal, changing the default calendar colours...

m.brown
Sep 24, 2002, 05:14 AM
Anyone know how I can change the iCal, default calendar colours. As purple and pink are too similar for us.

I need to make purple into yellow.

Anyone know how?

Thanks

Mediaman_12
Sep 24, 2002, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by m.brown:
Anyone know how I can change the iCal, default calendar colours. As purple and pink are too similar for us.

I need to make purple into yellow.

Anyone know how?

Thanks

This is a huge oversight on Apples part, not being able to ajust/change the default colours makes iCal almost useless to anybody with sight problems (colour blindness for examle), also the default contrast on these colours is way to low 'White text on light green' even I find it hard to see the dates.

m.brown
Sep 24, 2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Mediaman_12:

This is a huge oversight on Apples part, not being able to ajust/change the default colours makes iCal almost useless to anybody with sight problems (colour blindness for examle), also the default contrast on these colours is way to low 'White text on light green' even I find it hard to see the dates.

Someone posted on how to edit an ical.plist that allowed you to change the background colours - but since the search facility on macnn still doesn't work I didn't have time to find it.

Hopefully Apple will address these needs ASAP.

Ibson
Sep 24, 2002, 05:29 AM
You need to change a few files.
First, find iCal in the Applications folder and choose "Show Package Contents".
Navigate to Contents/Resources/data.wrapdir/Themes/default/purple
You can open the description.plist file in TextEdit, and change the various colours there--they're standard HTML-style hex codes. For example, to change white to black, change #FFFFFFFF to #000000. That file controls the text colour; to change the background colour, you'll need to change all the files in the layer0 folder. You could open them up in Photoshop and colourize them using the Hue/Saturation tool, and then make it a batch action.

m.brown
Sep 24, 2002, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Ibson:
You need to change a few files.
First, find iCal in the Applications folder and choose "Show Package Contents".
Navigate to Contents/Resources/data.wrapdir/Themes/default/purple
You can open the description.plist file in TextEdit, and change the various colours there--they're standard HTML-style hex codes. For example, to change white to black, change #FFFFFFFF to #000000. That file controls the text colour; to change the background colour, you'll need to change all the files in the layer0 folder. You could open them up in Photoshop and colourize them using the Hue/Saturation tool, and then make it a batch action.

Thanks - I hope Apple makes it a little easier soon.

I'm guessing that you could easily create your own themes and drop them into the the Themes folder and iCal would recognize them?

kschulhu
Sep 24, 2002, 11:34 AM
Select the calendar you want in the left pane and click the info button. The end.

It does what it says: "Show info for the selected calendar, event, or To Do item."

</appleBashing>

--Kschulhu

m.brown
Sep 24, 2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by kschulhu:
Select the calendar you want in the left pane and click the info button. The end.

It does what it says: "Show info for the selected calendar, event, or To Do item."

</appleBashing>

--Kschulhu

Huh?

Mediaman_12
Sep 24, 2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by kschulhu:

</appleBashing>

--Kschulhu

Absolutely NON of the standard colors have ans sort of CONTRAST with the WHITE text when on the main calendar page, there is a large choice of FADED & WASHED OUT colors with white titles.
I installed iCal on my mom's iMac, and put in all the events from her paper wall calendar, the fist thing she said when I showed it to her was "can you make the events stand out more by changing the white title's in to black"

kschulhu
Sep 24, 2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by m.brown:

Huh?

My bad. I assumed you were trying to select a different color than the one iCal defaults to. Such as... iCal selects Blue for your next calendar but you want it to be orange. Many people have complained about this and Apple has provided a way to change the colors assigned.

Your case looks like you want to change to a non-standard iCal color.

Please ignore my ramblings.

iBabo
Sep 24, 2002, 11:26 PM
i wonder if someone could write a program that would allow more colors to be added to ical....i dunno just a thought. maybe something like blobber