PDA

View Full Version : New to Mac - Jaguar won't install

Dowdy
Sep 24, 2002, 11:57 AM
Hello,

Just received my new 800 mhz iMac, with 1 gig ram. Very nice.

Here's my problem:
I currently have OS 10.1.5. I'm wanting to upgrade to 10.2 using my new Jaguar CD.

After I click on "Install Mac OS X", it tells me that I need to restart to begin the installation. No options or choices. Just the option to restart.

After I restart....nothing. Everything works fine, but it's still at 10.1.5.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

:confused:

Xeo
Sep 24, 2002, 12:03 PM
It must not be setting your startup disk. When you restart (with the CD in the drive), hold the "C" key. This will boot you from the disc.

LightWaver-67
Sep 24, 2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Dowdy:
Hello,

Here's my problem:
I currently have OS 10.1.5. I'm wanting to upgrade to 10.2 using my new Jaguar CD.

After I click on "Install Mac OS X", it tells me that I need to restart to begin the installation. No options or choices. Just the option to restart.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Just to clarify... what the installer is really saying is:

Restart the computer, and when you restart... I'm going to "Boot" off-of the CD so that I may install OSX 10.2 on your computer.

Your computer SHOULD be booting off-of the CD when it re-boots... I do not own an iMac, but does it try to "spit-out" the CD when you re-boot...? or is the CD still in the computer while rebooting, but it still boots off of your internal hard drive into 10.1.5...?

Dowdy
Sep 24, 2002, 12:49 PM
It looks like it's just not booting off of the CD. Xeo, I will try your suggestion this evening.

Thank you!

Dowdy
Sep 25, 2002, 09:01 AM
Okay, I tried forcing it to boot to the CD last night. It cranked for a while longer, booted up, and then nothing. I checked, and it still booted to the HD.

Double clicking the install file just reboots the iMac, nothing more. Yes, the CD stays in the machine and it does spin. I can read the contents of the CD just fine.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!:)

Technicolor
Sep 25, 2002, 09:28 AM
I had this same problem with an iMac. Turns out the original 10.1.5 installation was screwy for some reason. Try booting into OS9 and then running the installer. It should work but you have to select either "Archive & Install" or "Clean Install" in the options, otherwise it will report an error it will quit.

Hope this helps.

Sophus
Sep 25, 2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Dowdy:
Hello,

Here's my problem:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Insert the Jaguar CD.
Reboot.
Immediately after the chime, press and hold the alt key. Hold it until a blue screen with startupdisk icons is visible. The CD should show up here ass one of the icons. Click it and presse the "return/enter" arrow.
Your mac should boot from the CD. If not, zap the pram, check for BIOS upgrades etc.

Sophus

villalobos
Sep 25, 2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Sophus:

Insert the Jaguar CD.
Reboot.
Immediately after the chime, press and hold the alt key. Hold it until a blue screen with startupdisk icons is visible. The CD should show up here ass one of the icons. Click it and presse the "return/enter" arrow.
Your mac should boot from the CD. If not, zap the pram, check for BIOS upgrades etc.

Sophus

Check for BIOS upgrades!??!?!?!?!? No thanks, not on a Mac.
It is also possible that your CD is messed up. There have been quite a few reports of bad Jaguar CDs. You may try to see if it would boot another Mac or Imac.
Eventually, go to the system preferences, startup disk and 'manually' choose the CD. But if it did not do anything when you tried to press C, I would think the CD itself might be bust.

Villa

Sophus
Sep 25, 2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by villalobos:

Check for BIOS upgrades!??!?!?!?!? No thanks, not on a Mac.
It is also possible that your CD is messed up. There have been quite a few reports of bad Jaguar CDs. You may try to see if it would boot another Mac or Imac.
Eventually, go to the system preferences, startup disk and 'manually' choose the CD. But if it did not do anything when you tried to press C, I would think the CD itself might be bust.

Villa

Bios updates? ehh I mean firmware updates.... Same sh*t different name...

Sophus

Deal
Sep 26, 2002, 01:02 AM
To get the boot drive options, you have to hold down the "Option" button.

If your CD will not boot, then your CD may be bad (good enough to work, bad enough to not boot). Check and make sure there are no goobers on it.

If it does show up, you still have to click the install OS X icon of course....

Also Zap the PRam. Many a problems cured by the ol'faithful