PDA

View Full Version : killing hard drives

lowend
Sep 24, 2002, 12:19 PM
Hey folks.

As I've transitioned into the OSX world, something weird and totaly alien to my 7+ years playing with Macs has begun happening. It has to do with crashes that cause big time corruption in disk block headers and other files.

I'm running 10.2.1 and 9.2 on a 17 inch iMac, on seperate partitions. I've got a Pismo G3 400 Powerbook running 10.1 and 9.0.4, again on seperate partitions. I use an ezquest firewire drive that I swap between the two machines.

It's frequently the case that when I crash any one of these operating systems, it corrupts one of the partitions - never the boot partition - available to the computer, and causes it to disappear. I have to run Norton, under OS9, to restore the drive, and then everything is fine. I've never lost a data file, and all the problems seem to be related to headers and disk blocks directories and the like, all the kind of stuff I never paid any mind to in the past.

All of this has happened since I've started using OSX, and I wonder if the disk drivers used by the system are particularly fragile, and are not all that fond of dual boot environments. I work on music with these computers and that's forcing me to keep a foot in the OS9 world, so it's no option to go OSX all the way.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

mike in new york

fulmer
Sep 24, 2002, 06:19 PM
try running jaguar's disk utility. boot from the cd-rom and run it from there. keeping running it until it says the drive appears to be OK.

you don't run Classic do you? I've noticed that this often causes nasty drive corruption.

neophilia
Sep 26, 2002, 02:16 PM
Well first off, OS X is MUCH more hard drive intensive than 9 was. So if you have a drive that's going bad, it'll go bad much, much, MUCH faster in X than it would have before. I've had 2 drives totally fail within a few weeks or even days after switching over to X. We're talking physical failure. But I think part of that had to do with 10.1.x's nasty habit of spinning drives down constantly.. 10.2 seems much better in this respect.

Anyway, as for having to run Norton.. Unless things have changed recently, that's a REALLY bad idea. Running the OS 9 NDD on a X disk usually screws things up royally. If you can, I'd suggest reformatting everything and only using Apple's disk utils and Drive 10. The latest Drive 10 is quite nice.

And always backup, backup, backup...
-peter