PDA

View Full Version : Termites ate my icons...

invisibleX
Sep 24, 2002, 12:57 PM
...or not :D

But really, most of my icons have vanished including toolbar icons (no app or dock icons) The spinning wheel on startup now goes all grainy... which looks really cool.

Whats going on here? (using 10.2).

dfiler
Sep 24, 2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by invisibleX:

But really, most of my icons have vanished including toolbar icons (no app or dock icons) The spinning wheel on startup now goes all grainy... which looks really cool.

Sounds like you have corrupted data on your hard drive. There are a number of common causes for this:

- Part of the surface on one of your HD platters may be damaged. This can be fixed with disk utilities by telling the file system not to use that part of the HD. (software reinstallation maybe required)

- The drive head or the arm its attached to can fail, especially with prolonged use in a hot environment. When this happens the HD will read or write data incorrectly, quickly leading to many corrupted files and complete crashes.

- If your computer is shutoff, rebooted, or crashed while accessing the HD, there is the potential for data corruption. This can also be partially repaired.

If your drive is not the culprit, than these problems are likely a result of faulty RAM or an overheated CPU.

invisibleX
Sep 25, 2002, 10:30 AM
I could see it getting over-heated in summer... but its friggin cold here so it stay pretty cool. Everything works and OS 9 is a-ok. Odd.

MacManMikeOSX
Sep 25, 2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by invisibleX:

this morning i booted up my mac and had the same prob/. nice to know im not alone on this disk utility saysd theres nothing to repair so i dont know what to do.

MacManMikeOSX
Sep 25, 2002, 11:30 AM
found the problem if you use UFS in 10.2 it has to be formated by 10.2 install disk so when i updated it didnt update my UFS disk. i found that 10.2's UFS is more like the ext2FS than the first version of UFS wich was made to be more compadable with HFS and HFS+.

MacManMikeOSX
Sep 25, 2002, 01:11 PM
now in 10.2 without me moding the boot image im geting a grainy weel and the old happy mac icon WTF.

MacManMikeOSX
Sep 25, 2002, 01:14 PM
iv decided to reprogram the FS to merge the bootstrap and the main FS so then i can keep track 0ofg whats happening.

::maroma::
Sep 25, 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by MacManMikeOSX:
iv decided to reprogram the FS to merge the bootstrap and the main FS so then i can keep track 0ofg whats happening.

That's one funky sentance. Does it make any sense?

MacManMikeOSX
Sep 25, 2002, 05:20 PM
well i fixed it kinda now im getting the 6c98 bootimage wiered