PDA

View Full Version : My ibook booted up in terminal?

asmujica
Sep 24, 2002, 06:16 PM
I turned my ibook on 15 minutes ago and it booted up in what appeared to be terminal. I got the login and password on a darwin like interface. What the heck happened? I rebooted and everything went back to normal.

I am running 10.2.1 by the way.

Steve Bosell
Sep 24, 2002, 06:30 PM
what a coinkidink, the same thing happened to me this morning

Nonsuch
Sep 24, 2002, 06:48 PM
Perhaps a pair of unusually heavy flies happened to land on your Cmd and S keys ...?

asmujica
Sep 25, 2002, 11:25 AM
I found it extremely weird since no one else was in the room and I just pressed the on button and left to get some coffee, and they hello, welcome to darwin.....

What could have caused it?

biscuit
Sep 25, 2002, 11:29 AM
Cmd and S wouldn't do that would it? Thats for Single User Mode which doesn't ask me for a login/password.

Actually, last time I tried Cmd+S it didn't work, I thought maybe 10.2 blocks these things...

No idea why it would've happened. Just a temporary quirck in Window Server?

biscuit

absmiths
Sep 25, 2002, 12:04 PM
My TiBook did that occasionally after 10.2. I haven't seen it for a while.

dwishbone
Sep 25, 2002, 02:44 PM
my iBook did that too.
it wasnt single user mode (i use it all the time for HD maintenance).
it got all the way through booting, but instead of the desktop and finder popping up the screen went black and the text "welcome to darwin" was across the top of the screen and i was in a unix terminal environment. restarted...all went normal. very strange.

wadesworld
Sep 25, 2002, 06:35 PM
Hmmm...makes me wonder if there's a virtual terminal service built into OS X that Apple isn't telling anyone about, and someone your machine is showing the virtual terminal instead of the GUI.

Probably not, but a thought...

Wade

Hi I'm Mike
Sep 25, 2002, 08:28 PM
I actually would like to boot into verbose again.. is there still a way to do that?

orangep0ny
Aug 15, 2004, 01:09 PM
wow anyone have a fix for this? it happened to me yesterday. odd that i have posted in this forum before as well.

pat++
Aug 15, 2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
I actually would like to boot into verbose again.. is there still a way to do that?

command-V to boot in verbose mode...

Some Guy []
Aug 15, 2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by wadesworld:
Hmmm...makes me wonder if there's a virtual terminal service built into OS X that Apple isn't telling anyone about, and someone your machine is showing the virtual terminal instead of the GUI.

Probably not, but a thought...

Wade

you mean SSH? you can also reach this "virtual terminal" by typing terminal or >terminal as a username, i forget which.

-justin

Turnpike
Aug 16, 2004, 01:55 AM
are you referring to ">console" ?

Mr Scruff
Aug 16, 2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Some Guy []:
you mean SSH? you can also reach this "virtual terminal" by typing terminal or >terminal as a username, i forget which.

No he means virtual consoles, accessed on Linux via ctrl-alt-f[1-7]

Very handy if X starts playing up.

Ω
Aug 16, 2004, 08:13 AM
I know all you guys are trying to be helpful, but look at the dates.... you might not get replies.

:)

Mr Scruff
Aug 16, 2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by _?_:
I know all you guys are trying to be helpful, but look at the dates.... you might not get replies.

:)

We're replying to orangep0ny, who resurrected the thread yesterday.