PDA

View Full Version : Messing around with .localized

wataru
Sep 24, 2002, 11:27 PM
I did an archive install of 10.2 in which I saved my Home folder. At the beginning of the install I chose Japanese as my main language.

Using 10.2 for a while, I noticed that a lot of things that used to be English no matter what main language I chose during the install had been localized to Japanese (for example, "Network" in My Computer). This was a pleasant surprise.

But, when I created a brand new account in 10.2, I noticed that a whole slew of things showed up localized: Everything in /, ~, and most things in /Applications. I want my account to be like that!

Digging around with Terminal revealed lots of 0k files called ".localized," but adding them to my account didn't do anything. Does anyone know if there's a preference somewhere that controls this? What is the correct way to manipulate .localized files? Is there any other pertinent information I should know?

Developer
Sep 24, 2002, 11:36 PM
The preference that controls this is in the Finder preferences and called "Always show extensions".

wataru
Sep 24, 2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Developer:
The preference that controls this is in the Finder preferences and called "Always show extensions".

:err:

Call me crazy, but I don't think that has anything to do with what I was talking about...

Developer
Sep 24, 2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by wataru:

:err:

Call me crazy, but I don't think that has anything to do with what I was talking about... You are crazy! ;)

It has something to do with it. What the preference actually means is "Always show 'real file name' but not the 'display file name'".

wataru
Sep 24, 2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Developer:
You are crazy! ;)

It has something to do with it. What the preference actually means is "Always show 'real file name' but not the 'display file name'".
[wataru is retarded]
Are you serious? If you are, please explain it to me...

I've had that setting enabled to begin with
[/wataru is retarded]

Ok, that was what I was writing until I reread your reply, knocked the retardedness out of my head, and then actually tried doing what you told me.

Thank you, for some reason that was exactly what I needed. Does that make any sense, though? I'd prefer to always show extensions and have complete localization.