PDA

View Full Version : iChat is noisy

Xeo
Sep 25, 2002, 02:07 AM
I don't like my IM app to make noise so I always turn it off. With iChat, it seems when the app is closed and the menu item is keeping you connected, it doesn't respect the sounds settings. At least, it always wants to tell me when Rendezvous people have either signed off or switched status. Honestly, I don't care about the Rendezvous people. I just stay connected to see who's on and to be available.

So, I *could* simply rename or throw away the sounds from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/InstantMessage.framework/Versions/A/Resources, but is there another way to make the prefs stick?

I don't get sounds when someone messages me. I assume this is because iChat opens and those prefs take over. However, when people sign on or off or switch status, I get the "whipping" sounds (maybe they are whooshing?).

I apologize if the topic has been covered. The search ability of the forums is kinda broken right now.

[edit: the two offending files were "Buddy Logging In.aiff" and "Buddy Logging Out.aiff" so I renamed them with a 2 behind and now they don't get played anymore. I'm sure I would have to change some other files as well but I think those are the only 2 the menu item ever plays so this solution worked.

Is there any other way to do it?

Adam Betts
Sep 25, 2002, 03:17 AM
Thank god I'm deaf :D

Appleman
Sep 25, 2002, 04:09 AM
It took me several times to get the prefs stay the way I had them configured. Like three times the prefs stayed unchanged, so I tried again, the fourth time they were noted(?).

iChat is kinda buggy to me, or at least the server is, I get locked out quite often.

Maybe for Americans it's a nice chatprogram, but here in Europe no one is using AOL, so what's left are my two friends who own Macs, of which one hasn't signed up with .Mac, leaves me with one iChat buddy, but he has left the country for six weeks :D :D

I prefer icq, and use msn messenger just to stay in touch with my dark-side-friends from windows