PDA

View Full Version : Omg

El Pre$idente
Sep 25, 2002, 03:04 PM
You know, one look at the list of threads in OSX General just struck me today more than ever. OSX seems to be giving more problems than ever. One look at the list is enough to instill panic and fear into the heart.

My iPod died from the DiePod bug today. Damn. The remote is crap too, loses contact all the time.

techweenie1
Sep 25, 2002, 03:13 PM
Yeah I'd agree especially 10.2.x, it's been giving me alot of problems, it has panics due to my USB Floppy, which I have since un-plugged, it doesn't like to wake on sleep, it freezes on screen savers, it's just been performing really poor lately. It performed so bad, and this is after the 3rd fresh install mind you, that I just went back to OS 9 for the time being, cause it flys on my machine and I can use my USB Floppy, plus it wakes from sleep in like a nanosecond, no spinning cursor non-sense, not to mention it doesn't freeze too much. I do miss the OS X terminal and what not though.

JLL
Sep 25, 2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by techweenie1:
I just went back to OS 9 for the time being, cause it flys on my machine and I can use my USB Floppy, plus it wakes from sleep in like a nanosecond�

I think you're mistaking a sleeping computer with a computer with the screen turned off (set in Energy Saver), because Mac OS 9 does certainly not wake from sleep in a nanosecond - more like 20 seconds.

techweenie1
Sep 25, 2002, 03:35 PM
I assure you it was a nanosecond, I had the amber light glowing on my G4 for aleast a day, and when I moved the mouse, the hard drive spun and everything came up. It was like magic, on the other hand in OS X it takes a minute and a half to wake up, all I get is the spinning ball of death..it's quite an annoyance.

darkcore
Sep 25, 2002, 04:29 PM
That's crazy Techweenie. On my 500mhz G3 ibook it takes a nanosecond for it to wake from sleep.

CheesePuff
Sep 25, 2002, 04:33 PM
I'm not bashing Mac OS X either - I run it full time on my primary machine, but Mac OS 9 on my iBook wakes up and is useable about after lifting up the screen (a tad longer than a nanosecond).

Turn off AppleTalk and see what happens.

Adam Betts
Sep 25, 2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by El Pre$idente:
You know, one look at the list of threads in OSX General just struck me today more than ever. OSX seems to be giving more problems than ever. One look at the list is enough to instill panic and fear into the heart.

My iPod died from the DiePod bug today. Damn. The remote is crap too, loses contact all the time.

I enjoy hearing your whinning. You never failed to amaze me :)

benh57
Sep 25, 2002, 04:40 PM

Only if you are an idiot.

You only hear from the users with problems.

jokell82
Sep 25, 2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by benh57:

Only if you are an idiot.

You only hear from the users with problems.

Exactly. No one wastes time by posting things like how well their install went or how stable their system is.

Telusman
Sep 25, 2002, 05:18 PM
Hi, my name is Telusman and i am an OS X Junkie, have been for many years, my friends have been trying to help but I just cant seem to break away, they stuck a windows flag in my doorknob and sent me MA (macaholics annonymous) and nothing is helping.

I have a Powerbook 667, the computer has run flawlessly under 10.1 and 10.2, as well as 10.2.1, I havent had a single huge problem except for one, and i had it fixed in minutes.

A couple nagging things that bug me though, the computer will sometimes fall out of sleep and shut the computer down, thats ok, all i have to do is press the power button and it boots up normally.

System preferences will sometimes hang the machine if i open the sound control panel and have quicktime open, often causing me to force reboot the machine, happens once in a blue-moon, annoying but i simply dont let it bother me.

If i never rebooted, how would i see my pretty new boot logo?

Why i think i'll reboot right no.....

xi_hyperon
Sep 25, 2002, 06:03 PM
What the hell is the likelyhood that someone who is having a great, error-free day with OS X is going to run to OS X General and start a thread?

Your data gathering is great el prez. Your analysis skills could use some sharpening.

LightWaver-67
Sep 25, 2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
What the hell is the likelyhood that someone who is having a great, error-free day with OS X is going to run to OS X General and start a thread?

Your data gathering is great el prez. Your analysis skills could use some sharpening.

That was MY first thought... These boards are HERE to help each other with problems... if it were just to sit-around in a circle-jerk about how WONDERFUL the OS is... 2/3rds or more of us wouldn't BE here.

Go to any bulletin board about WinXP, WinNT, Win(any flavor) or even when Mac was still in it's OS9 days... there have ALWAYS been and will always be issues that need to be dealt-with. It doesn't negate the positive aspects of the OS.

I think my Chrysler Town & Country Limited with heated leather seats ROCKS! I'm sure I could find a message board where some poor consumer has had problems since day-one and thinks that Chrysler sux. Does that mean the REST of us that DON'T post on that board have those issues...?

Don't judge the OS on OTHER people's problems... judge it for yourself.

LightWaver-67
Sep 25, 2002, 06:30 PM
Double Post - DANG! :mad:

Diggory Laycock
Sep 25, 2002, 07:06 PM
you are seeing more troubleshooting threads because more people are coming to OS X with Jaguar - also more peripherals are being supported - so more potential setup problems there.

Its just that OS X is now truly the mainstream OS.

Real, everyday, "rest of us" type users are getting to grips with OS X

Son_of_Hogan
Sep 25, 2002, 07:44 PM
OMFG Pre$idente, you are speaking my language!

X is a blight on an otherwise sunny world. And that damn iPod, if it's not DiePod or the Remote it's the shoddy quality of the leather! OMFG!

Please come home. Please come home.

ryju
Sep 25, 2002, 08:03 PM
that's what you get for continuously overhyping products.
I run OS 10.2.1 full time on a 400mhz iMac DV with 1gb ram and i have NO problems and no kernel panics. waking from sleep (with the light glowing) takes less than 3 seconds.

techweenie1
Sep 25, 2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Cheese Puff:
Turn off AppleTalk and see what happens.

My god, how right you were, it magically wakes up in a nanosecond again!!! Thanks Cheese Puff!!! :D Now I know what I have to bitch at Apple for!!

Deal
Sep 25, 2002, 10:57 PM
How many people think El Pre$ is actually a Micro$oft advocate that frequents Mac sites to piss people off?

OverclockedHomoSapien
Sep 26, 2002, 12:48 AM

You realize that this is a site where people post about problems they have with OS X in search of solutions? We see mostly problems with OS X here because that's what this forum is for, it's a help forum. It selects for posters having problems with OS X.

Another way to interpret the greater number of posts here from OS X users having problems is that the amount of OS X users is increasing. With more OS X users, there are more users having problems with OS X. It doesn't mean that OS X has more problems, only that there are more OS X users.

There wouldn't be much point to having an OS X forum dedicated to posts about how OS X is running fine, without problems! Reading "yep, my install is working flawlessly too!" posts would get boring after a while.

yuriwho
Sep 26, 2002, 02:29 AM
Has anyone here been a tech support person?

Bug's are shallow with many eyes.

Nuff said.

Yes Jag has bugs...are they showstoppers?

Not in my opinion. It depends on what you need to do.

Y

dfiler
Sep 26, 2002, 08:31 AM
My iPod died from the DiePod bug today.

I don't believe you.

Wolf? Did someone say wolf?
Your reputation precedes you.

mrchin
Sep 26, 2002, 08:43 AM
And also, many times it's not bugs that cause problems or else everyone would have them.

At times, a problem is user error or configuration incompatibility. There are too many variables in how someone sets up there system for Apple to create the perfect OS right out of the box for them. If you've hacked your way to a system you like, then install Jaguar, you're most likely gonna have to tinker around your new environment to be happy with this config.

867 with 10.2.1 and not a single problem. Got my UK Epson printer drivers for my Photo Stylus 1200 working. Keyspan serial pda adapter is happy. All's quiet on the Eastern front!

Jay Bee
Sep 26, 2002, 09:36 AM
As far as OS 9.2.2 waking from sleep faster than OS 10.2.1 that is not the case on my machine. OS 9 takes around 25 seconds to become functional. OS X is up and running in just a few short seconds. Even if it has to spin up the hard drive!
I have been using Jag for over a month now and have had no problems to say except that my Canopus ADVC-100 did not work but that was fixed in 10.2.1.
My advice to all that are having the problems here would be to backup your important files and completely re-install Jaguar. Use the zero drive option it only takes a few hrs. depending on the size of your hard drive.
Just complaining that you are having problems will not get them fixed. Call Apple tech support. If you purchased Jaguar it will come with tech support to help you solve your problems.
My G4 is well over two years old and Jag runs great on it. I never had any of the problems described here, not that I can't have a problem.
I never use 9 now that X works this smooth. The nice thing about X is that it will keep getting better and better with every update from Apple.

ddregs
Sep 26, 2002, 09:58 AM
My personal experience with OS X.
I had been using OS X since 10.0.0 was released (and before), and I must admit the OS gets better with each release. I am not an Apple employee, (unfortunately) I mainly work with PCs at work, and I don't find them crashing all the day, they get my work done (since Win2000 was released) pretty good.
So far, I had a bad crash only when updating 10.1.4 to 10.1.5. I had to prepare my external drive, install every release up to 10.1.4 and then reboot with it and re-apply the 10.1.5 update to the internal drive (I have a DP 800 / 80GB / 1GB RAM with Handspring Visor,AirStick,SoundSticks,External SCSI CD-RW,External FireWire HD,HP Printer and HP USB Scanner, just to show the configuration is not that simple). It all went fine.
10.2 gave me only two problems: the SCSI external CD-RW was not recognized by Toast, but 10.2.1 fixed the problem, and VPC 5.0.4 every once in a while stucks the system not letting the mouse move for a second or so. It still retains this behaviour in 10.2.1.
Other than this I NEVER had a problem with OS X. A clean install is always the solution IMO.
I think Apple took two years and a half to release a pretty stable OS.
Look at the evolution of Windows, from NT to XP (let 95 and 98 aside, I had more crash with them than with OS 8/9 together). They took more and more years to fix problems. And I still have some of them with 2000 SP3. Sometimes Explorer crashes, or Internet Explorer 5.5SP1 freezes while loading some pages. Every OS has its ups and downs.
Choose what you want but please don't whine anymore. Stop it and report the bugs to Apple in order to fix them.
Cheers

mrtew
Sep 26, 2002, 11:37 PM
This is for the windows users out there thinking of switching.
I use windows at work every day and have between 3-5 crashes EVERY day, and so does EVERYbody else in my studio... even the windoze heads... of course it is a very complex 3-D program and rarely does the OS crash; just the program, but it is because of a memory leak that neither Alias nor M$ has been able to squash it in several years.
My Mac running OSX has only crashed 3-5 times in the last 2 YEARS. So don't let a few people posting about possible problems freak you out!

Spliffdaddy
Sep 27, 2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by mrtew:
I use windows at work every day and have between 3-5 crashes EVERY day, and so does EVERYbody else in my studio... even the windoze heads... of course it is a very complex 3-D program and rarely does the OS crash; just the program, but it is because of a memory leak that neither Alias nor M$ has been able to squash it in several years.
My Mac running OSX has only crashed 3-5 times in the last 2 YEARS. So don't let a few people posting about possible problems freak you out!

So the OS doesn't crash? Just the 'complex 3-D program?

What was your point supposed to be?

If apps crash inside an OS, then the OS sucks?

Better rethink that theory.

drmcnutt
Sep 27, 2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by mrtew:

I work on a two month old mac (QS800/1 gig ram)at work on OS 9 because of Quark and the machine crashes 3-5 times a day (complete lockup) especially after heavy distiller duty. Computers and programs crash, fact of life, get used to it. Apple, Microsoft, Linux, etc. don't offer crashproof OS's so Crashing is a moot point in comparisons because depending on what you do it can happen more often than not. A secretary probably crashes far less than a graphic designer because of the demands of their programs.

If you own a computer it will crash eventually even OSX, it shouldn't be something to obsess over.

DRM

Zimphire
Sep 27, 2002, 02:33 AM
People usually don't go on and on about stuff that works.