PDA

View Full Version : 10.2.freezes.all.the.time...

melanie
Sep 25, 2002, 04:08 PM
I have a Tibook 667 with a gig of ram and a 48gig HD. I waited until this week to upgrade to 10.2 I backed up all my files and reformatted the drive into two partitions one for os9 and one for 10.2. I installed os9 on the smaller partition and then 10.2 on the larger partition. The install went fine - no problems. I did the updates and even ran the repair permissions utility as suggested on the os x discussion board.I installed all the needed software: Office X, Photoshop 7, Macromedia Web Studio MX. I freeze constantly now. It is not specific to one application. I cannot force quit. I erased my 10.2 partition and reinstalled 10.1.2 and the freezes continue. Any ideas?:rolleyes: :confused:

Cory Bauer
Sep 25, 2002, 04:30 PM
Run Fsck -y and see if you have any problems with your drive. In case you don't know how to do that (and I'm sure you do) here is how:

1. restart your computer, and hold down Command-S

2. let go when the Kernal text begins to appear; once it stops, type "fsck -y" and push return. Don't forget the space between the fsck and the -y.

3. continue running it until it says the drive appears to be ok. then type "reboot" and push return.

or

4. If it's never ok, erase your system again, reinstall OS X 10.2 straight from the Jaguar disk, and try using it BEFORE installing all of your necessary applications. If you don't run into any trouble, start adding your programs one at a time until the problem shows up; then you'll know which program to get rid of.

Just a note, I guarantee it's not any of the Adobe, Macromedia, or Microsoft applications that are screwing up your system. If anything, it's a Norton program or some other system utility that causes more harm than good.

Good Luck

melanie
Sep 25, 2002, 04:36 PM
Thanks, I will try that. I didn't load any other programs that the ones I mentioned so we will see....
melanie

Originally posted by Cory Bauer:
Run Fsck -y and see if you have any problems with your drive. In case you don't know how to do that (and I'm sure you do) here is how:

1. restart your computer, and hold down Command-S

2. let go when the Kernal text begins to appear; once it stops, type "fsck -y" and push return. Don't forget the space between the fsck and the -y.

3. continue running it until it says the drive appears to be ok. then type "reboot" and push return.

or

4. If it's never ok, erase your system again, reinstall OS X 10.2 straight from the Jaguar disk, and try using it BEFORE installing all of your necessary applications. If you don't run into any trouble, start adding your programs one at a time until the problem shows up; then you'll know which program to get rid of.

Just a note, I guarantee it's not any of the Adobe, Macromedia, or Microsoft applications that are screwing up your system. If anything, it's a Norton program or some other system utility that causes more harm than good.

Good Luck

Laurence
Sep 25, 2002, 04:43 PM
This happened to me as well, although I just booted to single user mode and ran fsck a few times. It's been a few days and it hasn't locked up again.

The original lockups happened right after installing Photoshop 7, then Tomb Raider 5. They would install fine, but after installation I would click on the icon to start the respective app and the system would lock completely. No mouse, keyboard or telnetting in from another machine.

I don't really see how the fsck fixed it, and maybe it didn't but I haven't noticed any issues since doing this.

BTW, fsck only found a few errors and they were all related to files with "temp" in their names, so I assume these were created by one of the installers.

schmoe
Sep 25, 2002, 07:18 PM
I have a TiG4 with the same specs and haven't had any trouble since I first installed 10.2. I always do a complete format and reinstall, however when I first installed 10.2 I got a kernel panic and some serious drive corruption.

So I reinstalled and since then I haven't had any trouble. I am very cautious now though, first time I've ever had any OS crash cause drive corruption.

melanie
Sep 25, 2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by schmoe:
I have a TiG4 with the same specs and haven't had any trouble since I first installed 10.2. I always do a complete format and reinstall, however when I first installed 10.2 I got a kernel panic and some serious drive corruption.

So I reinstalled and since then I haven't had any trouble. I am very cautious now though, first time I've ever had any OS crash cause drive corruption.

I am in the process of reformatting/repartitioning and reloading 10.2 - so far so good.This time I did a custom install and loading only the epson print drivers and a few additional things instead of the entire disk 2. I will run the disk permissions and the fsck -y before loading anything else.
Melanie

wadesworld
Sep 25, 2002, 08:38 PM
Additionally, if the RAM was not Apple supplied, it could be the culprit.

Wade

eddiecatflap
Sep 26, 2002, 03:05 AM
..norton does seem to cause more problems than it solves..

Guy Incognito
Sep 26, 2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by melanie:

I am in the process of reformatting/repartitioning and reloading 10.2 - so far so good.This time I did a custom install and loading only the epson print drivers and a few additional things instead of the entire disk 2. I will run the disk permissions and the fsck -y before loading anything else.
Melanie

To Melanie: I have the exact same problem you mentioned. Random total lock ups (GUI freezes). I've tried everything to remedy the problem...my computer still locks up...I doubt your problem is fixed and I doubt it's as simple as what the others on this board tell you.

To everyone else: Stop treating this problem as some corrupted install or filesystem problem. IT'S NOT! I've tried absolutely everything to fix this problem...no joke. I've spent the last month (since 10.2) trying various hardware/software setups...I've reinstalled and formated my HD a billion times. The freezes are random but occur when there's cursor movement or keyboard input...they never happen while the computer is left alone doing it's background tasks (downloading, screensaver, etc...)

Back in the 10.2 days, I had about 8 freezes per day. Now I'm down to about 1 freeze every 2 days.

So again...stop treating Melanie or I like we don't know jack about installing an OS. I thought I was the only one experiencing these freezes a month ago but since then I've seen about 4 other reports of this kind of lock up.

patrickjketelaar
Sep 26, 2002, 11:31 AM
I agree. I was having the same problems, and the only thing that I think solved the problem was i completely removed every accessory and then zeroed out the drive, then reinstalled. but it still freezes. this is the third system install ive done. ive tested EVERY piece of hardware and nothing solves it. Apple has a problem on their hands, and they wont acknowledge it. 10.2.1 didnt fix it either, while 10.0, 10.1 and 10.1.5 dont freeze, nor does 9.2.1

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:

To Melanie: I have the exact same problem you mentioned. Random total lock ups (GUI freezes). I've tried everything to remedy the problem...my computer still locks up...I doubt your problem is fixed and I doubt it's as simple as what the others on this board tell you.

To everyone else: Stop treating this problem as some corrupted install or filesystem problem. IT'S NOT! I've tried absolutely everything to fix this problem...no joke. I've spent the last month (since 10.2) trying various hardware/software setups...I've reinstalled and formated my HD a billion times. The freezes are random but occur when there's cursor movement or keyboard input...they never happen while the computer is left alone doing it's background tasks (downloading, screensaver, etc...)

Back in the 10.2 days, I had about 8 freezes per day. Now I'm down to about 1 freeze every 2 days.

So again...stop treating Melanie or I like we don't know jack about installing an OS. I thought I was the only one experiencing these freezes a month ago but since then I've seen about 4 other reports of this kind of lock up.

melanie
Sep 26, 2002, 01:50 PM
I finished the reinstall last night. I reformatted and repartitioned the drive - This time making the osx partition the first and classic the second. I did not install classic yet. I did the custom install as mentioned above with no hangs or freezes during the installation (which happened before). I installed Photoshop 7, Acrobat 5. Office X, and Macromedia Web Studio MX. All with no freezes or hangs. I ran the security update but not the 10.2.1 update. Now, I am transferring all data files back into the system from my external FW drive. Notice: I have not installed Norton. The only Norton product I own is NAV 8 and it has not been installed. It has yet to hang up...freeze..crash or go fins up. I will keep you posted...OH yeah, I did not load the driver to my graphire tablet. I am using the track pad only...just in case.
All my ram is Apple spec ram.
melanie

melanie
Sep 26, 2002, 01:54 PM
thanks guy for the "i know what i am doing" defense....I am a win/mac network administrator, web designer and a mac expert...that is why I used these forums..why reinvent the wheel. Part of the job is knowing where to look for answers.In my case, time is money. My powerbook is used to admin several websites. When it is down I can't update my clients' sites. I also waited a month before I did the upgrade to see what the issues were. I read all the upgrade strategies before doing anything. (I just did a NT4 to Win2K upgrade on our network so planning is everything.)
So again...stop treating Melanie or I like we don't know jack about installing an OS. I thought I was the only one experiencing these freezes a month ago but since then I've seen about 4 other reports of this kind of lock up. [/B][/QUOTE]

schmoe
Sep 26, 2002, 06:28 PM
Guy:

I don't see any posts that would indicate the poster was "treating Melanie or I like we don't know jack about installing an OS"

When you post an issue like this asking for answers, you should expect a wide variety of responses as to the potential cause. Perhaps a fix worked for one person, and not another.

The people who replied were simply trying to help. I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble, but there isn't any need to take that out on the people here.

Giano
Sep 26, 2002, 06:44 PM
Well...i have problem with random freeze, too. I have not photoshop, but i have Flash MX and Office. In an other thread some people talk about a Omniweb caused freeze (sorry for my bad english)...
Well you have omniweb? I admit that Omniweb have a part in my freeze, but...sometimes seem like the System are looking for something in the disk that it doesn't find...and then BOOM freeze GUI...well...i don't know....
Hi :))

melanie
Sep 27, 2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Giano:
Well...i have problem with random freeze, too. I have not photoshop, but i have Flash MX and Office. In an other thread some people talk about a Omniweb caused freeze (sorry for my bad english)...
Well you have omniweb? I admit that Omniweb have a part in my freeze, but...sometimes seem like the System are looking for something in the disk that it doesn't find...and then BOOM freeze GUI...well...i don't know....
Hi :))

No, just IE...I loaded the wacom drivers yesterday and still not one freeze. Whatever the problem was it seems to be gone with the reformat. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I plan on loading classic today.
melanie:D

Guy Incognito
Sep 27, 2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by melanie:

No, just IE...I loaded the wacom drivers yesterday and still not one freeze. Whatever the problem was it seems to be gone with the reformat. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I plan on loading classic today.
melanie:D

Come back and tell us if the problem persists.

I hadn't had a freeze in about 2 weeks after a firmware reset and reformat. But then the computer froze. I've had 2 freezes in the last hour and had to rewrite entire posts that were much, MUCH longer than this one. :(

SMacTech
Sep 27, 2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Guy Incognito:

So basically you are saying, "stop trying to help people fix their problems by using known cures". Just because they don't fix your particular problems doesn't mean they will not help others.

mbryda
Sep 27, 2002, 11:55 AM
Check your apps...I was having a freeze every 3 days with Jag on my iMac when before (10.1.5) I could go 20+ days without a reboot.... Turned out to be an old copy of AquaMon was causing the problems. Ditched it and I'm on 16 days without a reboot!

melanie
Sep 27, 2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by mbryda:
Check your apps...I was having a freeze every 3 days with Jag on my iMac when before (10.1.5) I could go 20+ days without a reboot.... Turned out to be an old copy of AquaMon was causing the problems. Ditched it and I'm on 16 days without a reboot!

I finished loading classic and apps on second partition. I started catching up on website updates and have frozen 3 times in the last hour. I ran fsck -y at start up and no disk errors. Between freeze two and three I unplugged the wacom and 2nd monitor but froze any way.
I have listed all apps I am running: Photoshop7, Webstudio MX, office mx, Acrobat 5 and wacom are all the apps I loaded. I am just saving alot now. I am sure the problem will eventually be discovered and repaired via an update. I would still take my powerbook over any pc in my network.(I run a 60 pc network and have had to reformat/reload 8 pc's in the last 3 weeks.)Thanks to all those who offered suggestions. I will still subscribe to this thread in hopes of the golden ticket answer.....
melanie:(

Art Vandelay
Sep 27, 2002, 04:04 PM
I can't recall the name of the plug-in, but there is a Photoshop plug-in that has issues with certain G4s. It will cause complete lockups. I think PS 7.01 may have resolved the issue.

Targon
Sep 27, 2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by SMacTech:

So basically you are saying, "stop trying to help people fix their problems by using known cures". Just because they don't fix your particular problems doesn't mean they will not help others.

Com'on dude dont be such sarcastic biatch ass, u know what he's trying to say, dont stir shiot and derail the thread it helps no-one.... aight.

I think Guy is trying to say that these overly simplistic and approaches like "re-install your OS" or check your disks with "fsck -y" that are so easily thrown around here now days are almost becoming routine joke level suggestions for symptoms so serious as what these guys are experiencing.

To have freezing like this suggest perhaps defective hardware of some sort and yes it is possible that these freezes have not occured under previous OS's. Im sure Guy and others have gone to great lengths in trying to troubleshoot their problems thus they come here for some other idea's beyond the default methods of troubleshooting ie zap pram etc.

Back to subject : Guy im not sure i suggested this, but its the last thing i can think of , remove that battery on the logicboard for like 20mins or so. This will fully reset the PMU (Power Managment Unit) this sinilar to the pressing of the button i suggested earlier but a more sure fire way of resetting it.
Fire up yer machine after that and see how it performs.

Maybe 10.2 is causing as of yet an issue of undiscovered data corruption in some machines. This has been seen before some years ago in an OS version i can't recall so it isnt so far fetched.

Guy, has the machine been moved recently? Is it possible the ATA cable from logicboard to hard disk is some how not quite firmly pushed into the connectors? Do you have an External FW disk that you can install the OS on and bypass the internal disk entirely to test?

This may seem out of order, but is the fan that cools the CPU running? If it aint an the machine gets too hot it will freeze.

This is not normal computer behavior i cant think of anything else short of, sending the machine back to Apple ASAP and get them to try to sort it out in their time, im sure you have tried just about everything reasonably possible within your control on this.

Targon

:haripu:
Sep 27, 2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
I can't recall the name of the plug-in, but there is a Photoshop plug-in that has issues with certain G4s. It will cause complete lockups. I think PS 7.01 may have resolved the issue.

i think you are referring to the AltiVec Core which could freeze certain early G4 models (like mine) even in OSX. the only cure is to remove it.

it is unlikely that this should be the cause here, as the problems described in this thread seem more complex.

theolein
Sep 28, 2002, 09:19 PM
This IS a flame in some manner, but I've just been to the switch site of Apple's for the first time since they first brought it out. All the claims of "The Mac just works" don't really reflect reality in my and I'm sure some other people's experience here. I bought a Dell laptop recently and to my utter amazement it actually works very well. WindowsXP is more stable than OSX was on my Lombard PB, and I was really dreading using this OS.

What made me switch to the Dell? Work applications running only on Windows, Apple's arrogance with the .Mac debacle and PC's being one hell of a lot cheaper here in Switzerland than Macs while providing higher performance (800MHz G4 in a TiPB is NOT as fast as 1.8GHz on my Inspiron 8200). Microsoft is a ripoff company run by a bunch of criminals but Apple took a weighty step in that direction with .Mac.