PDA

View Full Version : Ironic - Chimera crashes today: 0. Word: 6

gregpins
Sep 25, 2002, 05:07 PM
Open-source alpha freeware is more stable than something I paid $400 for. Ridiculous.

When is Microsoft going to update Office? It is running very poorly under 10.2.1. Maybe they're pissed about the Switch campaign and we're paying the price.

Maybe tugging on Superman's cape wasn't such a great idea.

voodoo
Sep 25, 2002, 05:14 PM
Office v.X is a two bit carbonization of office 2001. It doesn't even support unicode! It's a freakin' word processor and it cen't do unicode!!? WTF?!

Chimaera is very stable for an alpha. I use Navigator 0.5 as my primary browser. Brilliant.

TheMosco
Sep 25, 2002, 05:24 PM
does anyone else having stalling problem in word? it freezes for a couple seconds every couple second in 10.2.1. really annoying.

MindFad
Sep 25, 2002, 05:42 PM
AppleWorks is my friend. :)

curmi
Sep 25, 2002, 07:06 PM
Maybe Microsoft are pissed. New version of IE is out today, and it is still just as buggy and ugly as the previous versions. :(

mikemako
Sep 25, 2002, 07:16 PM
geeeze

how much did i pay for Dreamweaver MX again? talk about crashing! that sucker crashes whenever I try to delete a table from a template.. at least usually.

passmaster16
Sep 25, 2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by TheMosco:
does anyone else having stalling problem in word? it freezes for a couple seconds every couple second in 10.2.1. really annoying.

Yeah I have this problem and you probably saw my post in the software formum. Don't think there is much you can do about it. Some have mentioned about turning off word count, spell check, and grammar check. It helps a little but not much.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Sep 25, 2002, 11:24 PM
Office v.X is such a scam....it has no significant new features over Office 2001 and yet Micro$oft are charging full price for it. Other developers who carbonize their apps without adding new features offer FREE downloads! For example, Roxio offered a free carbonized update for Toast, because it doesn't have any significant advantages over Toast Titanium for OS 9. Other developers may offer a Carbon port for a small upgrade fee.

Not only does Office v.X offer no new features, but it's even MORE buggy than Office 2001!

What I hate about Office is that instead of refining it with each release, M$ focuses on adding MORE features that we don't need, bloating it beyond recognition. But the existing features don't get any refinements, and the code isn't optimized for stability and performance. Instead we just get more of the same crapware as before. It's all about marketing, about M$ offering more and more features with each release with the hope that this will drive users to upgrade. M$'s entire philosophy of software development is flawed!

I use Office because I don't really have any choice, it's what's used at work and I need to remain compatible. But when I finally get a Powerbook, I'll be able to take it to work and plug in to the network and use it for presentations, so I'll have no need for Office. Just waiting until I've got a cool $3000 rotting in my bank account....