PDA

View Full Version : I am having a great, error-free day with OS X

chris v
Sep 25, 2002, 08:06 PM
posted by xi_hyperon in another thread:

Quote:

What the hell is the likelyhood that someone who is having a great, error-free day with OS X is going to run to OS X General and start a thread?

unquote.

Likelyhood 100% :)

I'm having a great error-free day with OS X. Not a d@mn problem all week, in fact.

CV

NeXTLoop
Sep 25, 2002, 08:31 PM
I'll second that. No problems at since 10.2. Only problems in 10.1.5 were too minor to mention.

ryju
Sep 25, 2002, 08:43 PM
I'll third that

::maroma::
Sep 25, 2002, 08:54 PM
Consider it fourthed.

Wevah
Sep 25, 2002, 08:55 PM
Fifth'd.

juanvaldes
Sep 25, 2002, 09:14 PM
umm....I had a error a few weeks ago. Does that count?

Adam Betts
Sep 25, 2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by juanvaldes:

Umm... is it Microsoft-related errors?

swiz
Sep 25, 2002, 09:20 PM
6th. Out.

fat mac moron
Sep 25, 2002, 10:03 PM
7th. I had a kernal panic a few months ago and I was shocked to see OS X crash. Sure, IE blows up all the time, but it never locks up the computer.

chris v
Sep 25, 2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by juanvaldes:

No. Neeeeeext! :D

CV

iKevin
Sep 25, 2002, 10:54 PM
Want to crash OS X??? It's easy!

SMB share a drive off a windows or linux box, then shut down the computer you shared the drive on...Then try to unmount the shared volume.

You'll beachball forever.

Other than that, Jaguar has been rock solid for me. Had 26 days uptime and only rebooted due to the 10.2.1 update.

not too shabby :-)

sideus
Sep 25, 2002, 10:56 PM
Not a single crash since using the public beta.

Love Calm Quiet
Sep 25, 2002, 11:08 PM
Got an iceBook running Jag and a TiBook DVI running 10.1.5 - Just luvin it !

But this 'news' would make for a boring forum, wouldn't it?

Let the flame wars begin !

xi_hyperon
Sep 25, 2002, 11:15 PM
I've had several weeks of error-free time with OS X.

Which is why you haven't seen too many threads started by me lately. :D:p

In the interest of proper context for those who didn't visit that thread- The ever-objective El Kelly Hogan made the argument that OS X must be a piece of crap since there are so many questions/problems posted in the forums. My counterpoint to him was that people with problems are more likely to post than someone who is running OS X just fine.

However, since chris v began this thread - I think Jaguar rocks. :)

godzookie2k
Sep 25, 2002, 11:20 PM
My Friends', cousins', pets-original-owner mentioned that the girl who walks their dog had an error free day with X this one time a little ways back. No error free day here, been having font and stability problems all day.

jules
Sep 25, 2002, 11:53 PM
I haven't had a single problem with 10.2 or 10.2.1 on my Ti 667 DVI or my iBook 600.

Judge_Fire
Sep 26, 2002, 02:53 AM
It's a beautiful day.

I've gradually been moving stuff, like audio production into OS and 10.2.x just feels quite trustworthy.

Though I have triple backups of everything :D Should try to get the old DLT drive to work with OS X next.

J

eddiecatflap
Sep 26, 2002, 03:02 AM
...if those berks at alcatel could get their act together id be in x 100%..

CarpetFluff
Sep 26, 2002, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
...if those berks at alcatel could get their act together id be in x 100%..

I work for Alcasmell (different division though and not for long) don't hold your breath, I'd sell the slug on eBay and get yourself a router modem.

Now back on topic.

Since upgrading to 10.2.1 I have experienced a burning sensation when I pee, I have mailed Apple about it on numerous occasions but they just won't reply, I'm going back to OS 9, Apple you suck! :mad:

foppie
Sep 26, 2002, 08:30 AM
yes, you should get a modem router. i have bought one when i got jagwire. it's an e-tech and it costs 160 euro (or 170 tops). i love it.
and besides that the only problem i've had with jagwire is sharing my pc and then turn the pc off. i had to restart my mac. i even had to restart by pushing the on/ off button.
other than that, it's great.

macmicke
Sep 26, 2002, 08:35 AM
No problems here either....

:)

chris v
Sep 26, 2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by foppie:

and besides that the only problem i've had with jagwire is sharing my pc and then turn the pc off. i had to restart my mac. i even had to restart by pushing the on/ off button.
other than that, it's great.

The one time I crashed 10.2 was when I shut down mt 450 while I was copying a 50 MB file to the Dual Gig. Couldn't kill the finder, nuthin. I chalked that one up to user error, though, since how do you copy a file from a machine that's shut down?

Would be nice if with Windows shares, you'd just get the same dialog as when a Mac shuts down... "Server no longer available" or whatever it is. Post a bug report, and maybe it'll be fixed by 10.3.6.

CV

edddeduck
Sep 26, 2002, 09:29 AM
9th and I am software / game testing :D :D

Cheers Edwin

torifile
Sep 26, 2002, 09:40 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/torifile/.Pictures/ten.jpg

K++
Sep 26, 2002, 10:52 AM
I too share in all your exuberance for I too, have had a error free day with Mac OS X Jaguar as well as an error free year.

Gul Banana
Sep 26, 2002, 10:59 AM
I've been pretty happy with everything for the last few months myself:) I did have a kernel panic or too back with 10.0, but it all seems so far away now...

cwasko
Sep 26, 2002, 11:07 AM
Yupo, great day here as well. Infact, the last 6 months have been wonderful. I've been in X full time for the last 6 months and I haven't missed 9 at all. Infacat, I've erased 9 off of the drives completely... Anyhow... got to git back to work.

voodoo
Sep 26, 2002, 11:11 AM
Great day for Jagwire here in Rvk. I don't remember when I experienced may last crash with OS X, but it was before 10.2, that I do remember.

I just wish I had a better graphix card. and a G4. and a drop dead gorgous girlfriend.

SMacTech
Sep 26, 2002, 11:34 AM
OS X is working great, but our AFP server and the Finder don't get along well. We replaced Services for Mac on NT4 with macServerIP years ago and then upgraded to Win2k. All was well until 10.2. I now have to go back to using SFM built-in to Win2k or use yet another 3rd party AFP product called ExtremeZIP. With MacServer IP, all files have a gray dashed border for an icon, and clicking on it would cause the file to disappear. SMB works great, but with some 900,000 Mac files on the server, we could effectively double that as SMB leaves the ._files on the server to store a Mac resource file.
I just bought several more dual 867s and cannot deploy them until this issue is resolved.
So NT server sucks and OSX rocks.

boardsurfer
Sep 26, 2002, 12:04 PM
I had a kernel panic yesterday for the first time since I've been running OS X (about 11 months). It was while playing UT GOTYE with the OSX patch. <shrug> Shoulda taken a picture, prolly wont see that again for a while. Other than that, smooth sailing!:cool:

Chazzmandu
Sep 26, 2002, 12:39 PM
The sun & moon shine on our iBook & 3 iMacs.
All in 10.2.1
All sharing, smooth, & perky.
All plug & playing nicely.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Sep 26, 2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by SMacTech:
OS X is working great, but our AFP server and the Finder don't get along well. We replaced Services for Mac on NT4 with macServerIP years ago and then upgraded to Win2k. All was well until 10.2. I now have to go back to using SFM built-in to Win2k or use yet another 3rd party AFP product called ExtremeZIP. With MacServer IP, all files have a gray dashed border for an icon, and clicking on it would cause the file to disappear. SMB works great, but with some 900,000 Mac files on the server, we could effectively double that as SMB leaves the ._files on the server to store a Mac resource file.
I just bought several more dual 867s and cannot deploy them until this issue is resolved.
So NT server sucks and OSX rocks.

Smactech I am having the same problem with Win2k and my jag, I am now using SMB sharing - I think the problem occurs mainly when a pc user renames a file/folder while the mac finder is even vaguely involved.

I do not have even vaguely the same awesome number of files as yourself, but I have about 12000 large image files and haven't found that there has been a siginificant increase in resource files and other junk on our win2k raid. They are there, and have caused some problems on our Redhat server, but maybe i have just been lucky.

Samba sharing though is so much better, refresh is instant rather than having to be forced, and I think general file browsing is faster. Possibly when they have fixed afp though it will be as fast, who knows?

Incidentally if those dual 867s are going to waste I will quite happily store them for you =]

lookmark
Sep 26, 2002, 02:25 PM
Speaking of crashes and uptime.

Do people consider the computer has crashed, if a minor component of the OS goes quirky or odd, and you decide to reboot in order to solve the problem?

Or is a crash a hard crash that requires a reboot?

Same goes for uptime: do you consider your uptime to continue if a software update requires a reboot, otherwise unforced by an error?

Nonsuch
Sep 26, 2002, 02:54 PM
Had quite a few problems after upgrading to 10.2. Then I did an Archive and (re-)Install and it's been peaches ever since. Fantastic OS.

Yes, it's a good day for singin' a song,
And it's a good day for movin' along;
Yes, it's a good day, how could anything go wrong,
A good day from mornin' till night.

Yes, it's a good day for shinin' your shoes,
And it's a good day for losin' the blues;
Ev'rything to gain and nothin' to lose,
'Cause it's a good day from mornin' till night.

I said to the sun, "good mornin', sun.
Rise and shine, today"
You know you've gotta get goin'
If you're gonna make a showin'
And you know you've got the right of way

'Cause it's a good day for payin' your bills;
And it's a good day for curin' your ills,
So take a deep breath and throw away your pills;
'Cause it's a good day from mornin' till night.

-- Peggy Lee, "It's a Good Day"

benschilke
Sep 26, 2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by lookmark:
Speaking of crashes and uptime.

Do people consider the computer has crashed, if a minor component of the OS goes quirky or odd, and you decide to reboot in order to solve the problem?

Same goes for uptime: do you consider your uptime to continue if a software update requires a reboot, otherwise unforced by an error?

I would think a problem that you decide to reboot to get rid of would be considered a reboot, but it seems that logging out is also an effective way of allowing OS X a fresh start.

SteveTech
Sep 26, 2002, 03:28 PM
In the year and a half I have run OS X (from 10.0.3 to 10.2.1) I have only had three kernal panics. All caused by different shareware/freeware apps. Needless to say they were removed from the computer quickly...

I remember back in the OS 9 days thinking wow only 2 (3,4,5) restarts or program hangs or force quits today. OS X is really a "different" computing experience. Hey Apple, there's your new commercial.

-Steve

lookmark
Sep 26, 2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by benschilke:
I would think a problem that you decide to reboot to get rid of would be considered a reboot, but it seems that logging out is also an effective way of allowing OS X a fresh start.

That's how I look at it. (There are some occasional glitches that pop up that logging out doesn't seem to solve, unfortunately.) I was curious if others shared the same definition.

The closest I come to fudging is exiting into single user mode, checking and repairing the filesystem a few times, and exiting, and still maintaining my uptime. Weeelll, it's not a complete reboot, right...

chris v
Sep 26, 2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by lookmark:

A minor error or quirkyness does not make a crash. If you elect to restart, at least you have the option. A crash for me is when there's nothing left to do but push the button on the front of the machine.

Uptime is what terminal says when I type "uptime" at the prompt.

FWIW, I'm having another completely error-free day here. Chimera hasn't even quit on me.

So far 10.2 has been utterly error-free since I got a good install, which did admittedly take three tries. Operator error was behind the bad installs, though. That's about 3 1/2 weeks of happy computing.

I will NEVER, EVER post my uptime here again, though. The last three times I've done so, I've had a hard crash within hours. (pride goeth before the fall...)

CV

-Q-
Sep 26, 2002, 03:53 PM
No problems, but my network at home has been "glitchy". I'm contantly having to turn file sharing on and off for the machines to see each other over the network.

And considering I run some heavy apps on a daily basis, I've been very happy with Jag. :)

:XI:
Sep 26, 2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by iKevin:
Want to crash OS X??? It's easy!

SMB share a drive off a windows or linux box, then shut down the computer you shared the drive on...Then try to unmount the shared volume.

You'll beachball forever.

Other than that, Jaguar has been rock solid for me. Had 26 days uptime and only rebooted due to the 10.2.1 update.

not too shabby :-)
I did this with 10.1.5 it didn't crash, the finder 'stalled' but freed itself, no restart needed. haven't done it in 10.2 yet ;)

10.1 was buggy, but not unstable, 10.2 seems solid so far.