PDA

View Full Version : Desktop fades w/out QE

funkboy
Sep 25, 2002, 11:37 PM
I have my desktop picture to change every 5 minutes... and for a long time it didn't fade when it changed from one picture to another. However, now it does.

This is on an iBook 500, with a Rage 128 which does not support Quartz Extreme.

I thought the fading was a special case just in QE? Apparently not... it seems to mostly do it when iTunes is not running, so I suppose it's using up the spare clock cycles by fading the desktop...

iPond317
Sep 25, 2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by funkboy:
I have my desktop picture to change every 5 minutes... and for a long time it didn't fade when it changed from one picture to another. However, now it does.

This is on an iBook 500, with a Rage 128 which does not support Quartz Extreme.

I thought the fading was a special case just in QE? Apparently not... it seems to mostly do it when iTunes is not running, so I suppose it's using up the spare clock cycles by fading the desktop...

That is extremely weird, 'cause I just quit iTunes to test your finding and it did not work. I have a TiBook 400, 512MB, OS 10.2.1

AU_student_iceBook
Sep 26, 2002, 12:27 AM
whatever you did to make this happen, I have the same computer as you, and I would love to have this.

funkboy
Sep 26, 2002, 12:29 AM
You know, now it's even happening with iTunes playing. What the heck. Very cool!

Anyone have any idea what's up with this? Wow, when iTunes isn't playing, it's silky smooth, too...

funkboy
Sep 26, 2002, 01:26 AM
Well this is just really odd...

I went into System Preferences because I wanted to make desktop picture changing to stop for awhile... but instead of it having the "Change desktop pic" checkbox checked, it's on a stationary photo, the photo I had set for the desktop from iPhoto.

I think iPhoto has screwed with the desktop somehow to enable fading... this was even after I logged out! Maybe try setting the desktop with iPhoto, keeping your "Change background ever x minutes" on, then logging out and logging back in?