PDA

View Full Version : get info isn't live info...

hotani
Sep 26, 2002, 05:09 PM
I am transferring files into a directory and decide to check "get info" to see how it is progressing. Guess what? It displays the same directory size every time I check it!!!

closing the window does not work, opening a new window does not work - there are directories nested inside this directory that are larger than it says it is!

Is this just my machine?

Deal
Sep 26, 2002, 06:30 PM
Does this mean if you get info on a folder, and then drag stuff in, and then re-get info on the same folder, it tells you the same size?

I do know that Jag's get info works different than pre-Jag get info. It does not change on the fly any more.

hotani
Sep 26, 2002, 06:37 PM
Yeah, thats exactly what it is doing. Even if you close and reopen get info, it will remain the same even if you have dropped some files in.

Reminds me of Public Beta... I had the same problem back then.

::maroma::
Sep 26, 2002, 06:51 PM
Try using the Inspector. I think it's Cmd-Opt-i? (Maybe Cmd-Shft-i). This is the one that updates 'live'. But I'm not sure why your regular Get Info isn't updating even after closing the Get Info window. Very odd.

hotani
Sep 26, 2002, 06:56 PM
wow! that is a strange little feature; looks exactly like the normal "get info" window but with a smaller title bar.

EDIT: oops, that doesn't work either. I have a directory that reads 19 MB, and there is a directory inside it that reads 48 MB!

msuper69
Sep 26, 2002, 07:20 PM
Well your problem is not a bug inherent to Jaguar as it works just fine for me.

The size dynamically updates as I drag files and folder into and out of the folder I'm doing get info on.

Perhaps trashing the Finder preferences might be something you might try.

Deal
Sep 26, 2002, 07:34 PM
Maroma::

Thanks for the Apple-Option-I tip. I missed the ability to check folders on the fly. Very helpful to me.

::maroma::
Sep 26, 2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by hotani:
wow! that is a strange little feature; looks exactly like the normal "get info" window but with a smaller title bar.

EDIT: oops, that doesn't work either. I have a directory that reads 19 MB, and there is a directory inside it that reads 48 MB!

Sounds like you are having some issues there. Not sure what's going on. As someone said above, trashing the prefs is a good start (if you haven't already). I would also try the fsck -y thing. Other than that, I'm stumped.