PDA

View Full Version : Where to put shared files

Spaldings
Sep 26, 2002, 05:46 PM
Okay, I want a user to be able to remotely get into my computer and be able to get at selected files. These are files that I want to keep in my own folder, but I want to share them with a specific user. This sharing is for connecting to this machine from outside my network.

My question is when the user logs in and selects what to mount, either my drive or theirs. How can they get to this specific folder?

Would allowing read access to my folder, then no access to everything else but read access to this folder to be shared work? Or is that not recommended - security wise.

I do not want to put these file in my "Public" folder, I do not want an unregistered user to be able to view these files.

Recommendations, ideas, please...

Thanks
~S

Brass
Sep 26, 2002, 06:57 PM
Is this for a local user (using you computer directly) or a remote user (across the network)?

For a local user, you'd just have to change the permissions of the folder itself and tell them where it is.

For remote users, you can either:

1. Buy OS X Server (in which you can specify which directories to make available to remote users via AppleShare).

2. Create an account for that user, and set their home directory to the directory you want to share (a very strange thing to have their home directory within yours).

3. Bite the bullet, and move the files to your public folder.

4. Create an account for that user, and put the files in their public folder (so you can still get at them).

5. Use Windows-type networking (SMB) instead of AppleShare, and edit the smb.conf file to create and SMB share for the directory you want to grant access to. Of course, the remote user must be able to connect via SMB, but if they're using OS X or Windows, that's no problem. You'd also have to make sure you've got all the right settings for that user to be able to connect via Windows networking (in the Accounts system preference, and in the Sharing system preference).

6..... that's all I can think of at the moment.

Deal
Sep 26, 2002, 07:22 PM
Go to version tracker and check out a program called SharePoints

Spaldings
Sep 27, 2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Brass:
Is this for a local user (using you computer directly) or a remote user (across the network)?

For a local user, you'd just have to change the permissions of the folder itself and tell them where it is.

For remote users, you can either:

1. Buy OS X Server (in which you can specify which directories to make available to remote users via AppleShare).

2. Create an account for that user, and set their home directory to the directory you want to share (a very strange thing to have their home directory within yours).

3. Bite the bullet, and move the files to your public folder.

4. Create an account for that user, and put the files in their public folder (so you can still get at them).

5. Use Windows-type networking (SMB) instead of AppleShare, and edit the smb.conf file to create and SMB share for the directory you want to grant access to. Of course, the remote user must be able to connect via SMB, but if they're using OS X or Windows, that's no problem. You'd also have to make sure you've got all the right settings for that user to be able to connect via Windows networking (in the Accounts system preference, and in the Sharing system preference).

6..... that's all I can think of at the moment.

Is there a way to only allow registered users to connect to my machine and not guests?

The DJ
Sep 27, 2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Spaldings:

Is there a way to only allow registered users to connect to my machine and not guests?

Again get sharepoints

DJ