PDA

View Full Version : What's the best OSX book?

mediahound
Sep 27, 2002, 01:20 AM
What's the best OSX book? I'm not a total beginner, I just need to get ramped up on the intricacies of X. Thanks for any info!

Technicolor
Sep 27, 2002, 02:17 AM
The Missing Manual (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macosxmm/) by David Pogue is really good.

Musti
Sep 27, 2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by mediahound:
What's the best OSX book? I'm not a total beginner, I just need to get ramped up on the intricacies of X. Thanks for any info!

Mac OS X Unleashed, by John Ray and William C. Ray, ISBN: 0672322293.

Second edition is coming somewhere around January.

DigitalEl
Sep 27, 2002, 10:16 AM
The Missing Manual by David Pogue is really good.

It's being updated for Jaguar. Make sure you get the latest version! Agreed, though. Pogue's book is the best for the general user.

mediahound
Sep 27, 2002, 03:09 PM
"It's being updated for Jaguar. Make sure you get the latest version!"

anyone know where i can get the latest version? the bookstore only has the first version...

Nonsuch
Sep 27, 2002, 03:21 PM
The Missing Manual is currently the 5th-bestselling computer book on Amazon; it was #1 for like 6 months after it came out. Amazing ...

anyone know where i can get the latest version? the bookstore only has the first version...

Get the Second Edition directly from O'Reilly (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macosxmm2/). It won't be out 'til next month sometime (assuming it doesn't get pushed back like the first one did).

marnie
Sep 27, 2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Technicolor:
The Missing Manual (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macosxmm/) by David Pogue is really good.

Something I like about this book is that I could give it to all of my clients who I set up with Macs for the first time (either switchers or completely new to computers) as well as those who wanted a bit more info.

Dr_Doom
Sep 27, 2002, 07:53 PM
IMO the best 'book' for OS X is a POWerBook G4. Unfortunately, you have to hit the damn shift key when you key the '4' in 'G4' so it reflects the price: G$ . Damn expensive, but worth it to run OS X.

;-)

-Dr_Doom

Person Man
Sep 27, 2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Musti:

Yes!

That is an excellent book, which not only has a good introduction to the GUI, but has a great, extensive section on the UNIX parts of the operating system.

The other book I would recommend is

Mac OS X Disaster Relief, by Ted Landau (of MacFixit and Sad Macs fame)
ISBN: 0201788691

CheesePuff
Sep 27, 2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Musti:

Ah yes that is a great, big, book.

Somewhere around 1400 pages I believe.

Musti
Sep 28, 2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Dr_Doom:
IMO the best 'book' for OS X is a POWerBook G4. Unfortunately, you have to hit the damn shift key when you key the '4' in 'G4' so it reflects the price: G$ . Damn expensive, but worth it to run OS X.

;-)

-Dr_Doom

This is hilarious. It is even two jokes in one, which makes it more hilarious.

:)