PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know when Epson will have OSX compatibility for their scanners?

mediahound
Sep 27, 2002, 03:49 AM
In the last week, I got a new G4 800 (got a deal on this closeout), bought a new Epson Scanner (2450), and began using OS 10.1.5 as a new OSX user (busy week huh?).

My question is-does anyone know when Epson will have flatbed scanner drivers for OSX? My Epson 2450 scanner won't even scan in classic mode. I have to reboot into OS 9.2.2...

m.brown
Sep 27, 2002, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by mediahound:
In the last week, I got a new G4 800 (got a deal on this closeout), bought a new Epson Scanner (2450), and began using OS 10.1.5 as a new OSX user (busy week huh?).

My question is-does anyone know when Epson will have flatbed scanner drivers for OSX? My Epson 2450 scanner won't even scan in classic mode. I have to reboot into OS 9.2.2...

Download and install Epson Twain (http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=16027&db=mac).

Then open Image Capture and go to Preferences and check "Use TWAIN software whenever possible"

Then use Image Capture to scan by clicking on "scan".

This will launch an automated scan - so if you want to make manual corrections click cancel as the scan starts and you will be able to make manual corrections.

Be careful though there are bugs and unexpected quits galore with my Firewire Epson 2450 Photo - but nothing too harsh (no lockups etc).

Sharky K.
Sep 27, 2002, 04:52 AM
you need 10.2 and I believe the epson scan drivers are already installed

m.brown
Sep 27, 2002, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Sharky K.:
you need 10.2 and I believe the epson scan drivers are already installed

Yeah - sorry forgot to mention that - thanks.

raskol
Sep 27, 2002, 06:45 AM
Doesn't the Epson 2450 come with SilverFast AI plug-ins for Photoshop, etc.? You should be able to use the Photoshop or whatever image editing software came with the scanner once you install the plug-ins.

mediahound
Sep 27, 2002, 11:19 AM
thanks for the replies. i guess i will wait until i get my 10.2 from Apple....

the Epson 2450 does come with SilverFast SE plugin, but i don't believe this version works under X. t believe that you have to buy a different version from LaserSoft for X compatibility...

mediahound
Oct 4, 2002, 07:41 PM
so i finally got 10.2.1 going and downloaded the Epson Twain driver (above link). thanks for the help, it seems to work ok so far. anyone know when it will be officially released? i noticed this driver is a trial one.

OldManMac
Oct 4, 2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by mediahound:
so i finally got 10.2.1 going and downloaded the Epson Twain driver (above link). thanks for the help, it seems to work ok so far. anyone know when it will be officially released? i noticed this driver is a trial one.

This Epson driver is a beta, but one of the nice things about it is that you can scan something directly from within any Twain compliant app, like Photoshop and Word. You don't need to scan it first in Image Capture, and the import it.

pearl2000
Dec 6, 2002, 03:20 AM
thanks for all the info youve given me. alot better than those fools at compusa. but i have a few questions. in image capture, only the overview button works. the scan isnt 'highlighted', so that button dont work. also, my PS7 does not recognize any scanner, how do i set that up?

Diggory Laycock
Dec 6, 2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by pearl2000:
thanks for all the info youve given me. alot better than those fools at compusa. but i have a few questions. in image capture, only the overview button works. the scan isnt 'highlighted', so that button dont work.

The "overview" button = "preview scan".

The app automatically starts the overview when Image Capture starts - and you cannot start the main scan until the overview has finished.

This is quite annoying when you are using image capture to import digital photos from a Compact Flash and don't need to scan!

also, my PS7 does not recognize any scanner, how do i set that up?

IS there no "Epson TWAIN acquire" in the "File/import" menu?

BoulderDash
Dec 6, 2002, 02:24 PM
Hi there,
Sounds like some really great help... will this work with my HP ScanJet 4470c? :confused: There are no drivers listed at the HP website which are non-OS 8/9. I'm running OS X 10.2.2.

Thanks!
BD

aaanorton
Dec 6, 2002, 02:54 PM
You may also want to look into VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html). It is a generic scanner app that works with many scanners. It can be configured for novice - expert users and can usually produce better scans than the scanner's original s/w.

pearl2000
Dec 6, 2002, 09:50 PM
nope, theres no acquire twain. the only things in the import category are:

anti-aliased pict
pdf image
PICT resourse
and "annotations" is not highlighted.

my image capture seems to be working with all your help :)

Big Mac
Dec 7, 2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by pearl2000:
thanks for all the info youve given me. alot better than those fools at compusa. but i have a few questions. in image capture, only the overview button works. the scan isnt 'highlighted', so that button dont work. also, my PS7 does not recognize any scanner, how do i set that up?

Forgive the off-topic reply, but unless you're dealing with a dedicated Apple employee working at CompUSA, you're not going to get much of any support from the staff. The kids there are really interested in selling Compaqs with extended warranties, and they're not very interested in Macs at all -- generally speaking, that is.

pearl2000
Dec 8, 2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Big Mac:

Forgive the off-topic reply, but unless you're dealing with a dedicated Apple employee working at CompUSA, you're not going to get much of any support from the staff. The kids there are really interested in selling Compaqs with extended warranties, and they're not very interested in Macs at all -- generally speaking, that is.

he was the 'mac guy', haha, he's so incompotant for an expert.