PDA

View Full Version : Its Official: I think 10.2.1 SUCKS!

Keda
Sep 27, 2002, 11:07 AM
I was late to upgrade to Jag. When I did, 10.2.1 had already been released. I worked with Jag for only a few short hours, but I remember them fondly as the best hours of my life.

Then came Jag.1...First it destroyed my Mac when it crashed on install. After hours of rework, I had wiped my drive and installed it all from scratch.

Now all I can this is 'when will 10.2.2 get here?' This release is BS. I've suffered through OSX since PB, but this release has caused more random F-ups that I care to recount. Among my gripes are : file transfers-slow, web pages-what happened, and general responsiveness.

This experience comes from usng the OS on several Macs (G4/500, iMacDV/400, BeigeG4/500, BW G3/OC'd) and they vary btwn archive and clean installs.

edddeduck
Sep 27, 2002, 11:17 AM
Well somebody has to have all the bad luck :D

SMacTech
Sep 27, 2002, 11:20 AM
My experience has been just the opposite. Except for a sleep issue on one cube, but it was account specific and removing some plist files seems to have cured it.
Sorry you had to be part of Murphy's Law.

Moose
Sep 27, 2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Keda:
I was late to upgrade to Jag. When I did, 10.2.1 had already been released. I worked with Jag for only a few short hours, but I remember them fondly as the best hours of my life.

Then came Jag.1...First it destroyed my Mac when it crashed on install. After hours of rework, I had wiped my drive and installed it all from scratch.

Now all I can this is 'when will 10.2.2 get here?' This release is BS. I've suffered through OSX since PB, but this release has caused more random F-ups that I care to recount. Among my gripes are : file transfers-slow, web pages-what happened, and general responsiveness.

This experience comes from usng the OS on several Macs (G4/500, iMacDV/400, BeigeG4/500, BW G3/OC'd) and they vary btwn archive and clean installs.

It's official. You're a whiny ********. Until can come up with something better than "file transfers-slow, web pages-whawt happened, and general responsiveness" go back to your third period English class and let the grown-ups have a small respite from your idiocy.

KidRed
Sep 27, 2002, 11:56 AM
hahaha, I won't even comment.

::maroma::
Sep 27, 2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Moose:

It's official. You're a whiny ********. Until can come up with something better than "file transfers-slow, web pages-whawt happened, and general responsiveness" go back to your third period English class and let the grown-ups have a small respite from your idiocy.

Excellent!

Keda
Sep 27, 2002, 12:08 PM
I love you man.

I just wish you were here so I could slap your ass!

Keda
Sep 27, 2002, 12:14 PM
Oh, that was for moose BTW. I've been out of 3rd grade for over 5 years.

If the Apple bi�ches are done, I can tell you that I've heard similar stories from several people now. So, I know I'm not the only one.

10.2 is a big step up, but I think Apple is rushing its deadlines a bit and allowing too many bugs through. In all the years I've been a Mac user, I've never had an installer destroy my whole machine.

TheTraveller
Sep 27, 2002, 12:28 PM
Obviously, Apple's installer sucks. But there's been so much moaning and whining over them, I'm optimistic that Apple will improve it.

But 10.2.1 has been fine for me, haven't rebooted since I upgraded.

Subzero Diesel949
Sep 27, 2002, 12:41 PM
Apple's installer does suck. (We know what's best for you.�)

But I've had no problems over here.

MacGorilla
Sep 27, 2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by ::maroma:::

Excellent!

Ditto!

mitchell_pgh
Sep 27, 2002, 12:57 PM
I hate to say this, but some people bring crashes on themselves. It's the same story with Linux, Windows, AIX, BeOS, OS 9 and now OS X. (Please not that this may not be your case, but it has happened twice today, and I was asked [forced] to clean up other peoples messes.

Here are my quick tips to stop 90% of crashes.

1) Don't move or delete S@#$ if you don't know what it does!

I get this on OSX and Windows all the time "Oh, I didn't know I couldn't move/delete that file" OS X actually helps me out here in that I set up accounts so that they can't remove/edit system stuff, but in OS 9 it was a nightmare... because the OS would be running fine, but then in the morning, it wouldn't (because someone moved system files etc.)

2) Don't install S@#$ if you don't know what it does!
I had someone run out of disk space only to find out that they had 3 full installs of Office on their system!!!

3) Don't upgrade the second an update comes out.
This is old Unix trick. Wait it out and have the new guys play around with it and find all of the errors before you bother. I now wait at least a full day before installing updates from Apple.

unfaded
Sep 27, 2002, 03:45 PM

Go away.

CharlesS
Sep 27, 2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by SMacTech:
My experience has been just the opposite. Except for a sleep issue on one cube, but it was account specific and removing some plist files seems to have cured it.
Sorry you had to be part of Murphy's Law.
What plist files were they?

SMacTech
Sep 27, 2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by CharlesS:

What plist files were they?

com.apple.powermanagement.plist and com.apple.loginwindow.plist

however, those are global and not user specific, but they cured my sleep issues.

YMMV

kcmac
Sep 27, 2002, 05:22 PM
This is when I wish their was a built in filter that would rid the site of negative threads started by pre-puberty, whiny #@*, etc.

Of course, I usually skip over threads titled like this one so shame on me....;)

Targon
Sep 27, 2002, 05:29 PM

however, those are global and not user specific, but they cured my sleep issues.

YMMV

Steve can you detail the sleep issue? Is it or was is specific only to the cube?

tar

msuper69
Sep 27, 2002, 07:48 PM
It's Official: I think "Its Official: I think 10.2.1 SUCKS!" SUCKS!

:rolleyes:

pliny
Sep 28, 2002, 03:43 PM

YMMV

heh, juciy tip, gonna try this next time machine goes into coma. thanks for that.

MacManMikeOSX
Sep 28, 2002, 07:14 PM

oh shut up iv had to reformat 3 times since i got it but i still like it. its a great improvement over 10.1.5

eno
Sep 28, 2002, 08:16 PM

LOL!

I've never had a single problem with OS X.

So I guess this is just another hilarious case of PEBCAK. (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard).

Sucker.

oVeRmInD911
Sep 29, 2002, 12:10 AM
My brother's upgrade to Jaguar didn't go so well either. We're gonna do a fresh install soon so that'll probably fix it. I was planning on doing a fresh install ayway.

krove
Sep 29, 2002, 01:55 AM
I bet a clean install or at least an archive and install would have solved 99% of the problems on the boards.

You people install so much **** on your machines that you probably either don't need or never use that the system just become bloated.

BTW, if you have to reformat more than once to get Jaguar to work - something is seriousy wrong with you or your machine (probably the former more so than the latter)...

:rolleyes:

SMacTech
Oct 14, 2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Targon:

Steve can you detail the sleep issue? Is it or was is specific only to the cube?

tar

My problem was not specific to the cube in general. The problem turned out to be the PalmDesktop background process which was constantly monitoring for synchronizing my Visor. I ran sudo fs_usage and saw a lot of activity from it too and decided to remove it from startup and all my problems went away. The problems returned, even after deleting the files I noted above.

Bobby
Oct 14, 2002, 10:48 AM
My 10.2.1 is perfect. I have absolutely no complaints, and seemingly no problems...

xi_hyperon
Oct 14, 2002, 11:17 AM
No complaints or problems here either. Couldn't be happier. :) :p

MickS
Oct 14, 2002, 11:29 AM
Never had a problem applying an OS X update. Why? Probably because I apply my golden rules:

1. Always reboot your system and do a full disk check before applying an operating system update. Keep checking until the disk shows no errors.

2. Don't delete/move anything unless you know it's safe to do so.

Simple rules. Learnt from almost 20 years of dealing with Unix systems.

A lot of the problems people are having in these forums are because people are treating OS X as if it's just a new version of OS 9. You mess with things you don't understand, whether you think that it sucks or not, and you run the risk of creating problems for yourself.