PDA

View Full Version : My kids hate Jaguar

MS
Sep 27, 2002, 10:40 PM
Okay, maybe my 4 and 7 year old don't exactly know what Jaguar is, but they do know that there games that they know and love FREEZE constantly in 10.2.
Even Tony Hawk 2, which has an X version on the disk, freezes every 5 minutes. This is just not right.
I really think it has something to do with the new Quartz Extreme and my imac G3's video card's (Rage 100) inability to correctly deal with it. That must be why none of my screen effects (except flurry) work anymore.

All of my kids games, whether it be Classic versions or new X versions, play much better in 9 than in X. I've actually taught my 7 year old how to hold down the Command key and restart the computer into 9 so he can play his Tony Hawk without interruptions.

No, I'm not switching back to 9, but I'm just bummed that to get things I've been wanting for a while (spring-loaded folders, software base station, Sony DVMC-DA1 compatibility), I have to give up many other things that used to run smoothly.

MS

Developer
Sep 27, 2002, 10:48 PM
Quartz Extreme isn't activated/supported on your iMac, so it's not an issue.

I would suggest you create a new user and test if the problems persists. If so, it's most likely some hosed preferences.

Come back with your findings.

CheesePuff
Sep 27, 2002, 10:54 PM
Please make sure you have the latest version of Tony Hawk for OS X and are running OS X 10.2.1.

MS
Sep 27, 2002, 10:55 PM
Developer, thanks for your reply, but I highly doubt it's a preference issue. I installed 10.2 in its own partition, and completely erased the hard drive before I started, and it started happening immediately.
There is a couple of big threads on the Apple OSX discussion boards with people with ATI Rage cards (esp. imac dv's) that are having problems with screen effects and other things graphic related.

I really think it has something to do with either our old processors or video cards not liking something about jaguar. Just a hunch, but since I'm not alone, I highly doubt it's a preference thing.

MS

Sep 27, 2002, 10:56 PM
is the DA1 supported in jaguar/fcp 3.0.2? that's a bonus (for my friends, i have the DA2)

that rage 100 is that running on a 25mHz NuBus? (could not resist, that's rage128...)

ya, try the new user, or simply renaming the prefs folder and logging out/in, or a clean install IAEF.

MS
Sep 27, 2002, 11:09 PM
Cheesepuff, I am running 10.2.1 and I just bought Tony Hawk 2 for my son and I'm running the Tony Hawk2 for X. I just checked out their website and couldn't find an update listed. Is there one?

[email protected], I have not yet tried it on FCP, but it works great in imovie now.
And yes, I knew its was a 128, but evidently my fingers didn't. :D

Thanks.

Developer
Sep 27, 2002, 11:22 PM
OpenGL is supposed to work with a Rage 128, but the card doesn't have plenty of RAM with 8 MB. Did you try running at thousands of colors and at lower resolutions?

Guy Incognito
Sep 28, 2002, 12:33 AM
Actually...many games broke under 10.2. It's up to the developers to do something about it (or not). Ask Westlake Interactive to check it out. They might say 'no' because that's the way they react to updates for some odd reason.
I bought Max Payne a few days before OS X 10.2. Played well in 10.1.5. Broke in 10.2. I feel like I've lost $50. I'm not sure Westlake wants to update Max Payne to work properly under 10.2. This is probably the last time I buy a Westlake port. I'll stick with Omni ports from now on.

godzookie2k
Sep 28, 2002, 12:52 AM
Games have always performed better under 9 than X, tack it up to better drivers.

undotwa
Sep 28, 2002, 02:02 AM
I find games perform better in X. :D

brainchild2b
Sep 28, 2002, 03:56 AM
You KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE to do right?
Get New Kids. ;) ;)

Krypton
Sep 28, 2002, 09:42 AM
Of all my full screen games, I've only found one (Real Myst) that did not crash on my iMac DV in OS X. This is with 10.0 through to 10.2 - OpenGL with older ATI cards does not play nice with full screen games.

I've sent crash logs off to developers, and everytime they fixed the problems my crash logs apparently showed I still incountered the problems. I'm not sure who's at fault so I stopped playing games altogether in X :(

MS
Sep 29, 2002, 02:13 AM
Brainchild2be, that is one of the funniest replies I've heard in a while. While, I cannot trade my kids in, I can do something else.
When I get my new imac G4 (which, by the way, I won in the Apple Digital lifestyle sweepstakes), I will dedicate this imac dvse to my kids for their gaming, and it will stay in 9, while I enjoy my own "personal" computer running OSX.

bateman
Sep 29, 2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by brainchild2b:
Get New Kids. ;) ;)

and kill the ones you had already.

sandsl
Sep 29, 2002, 02:39 PM
Get a new machine (8mb of VRAM is really not good enough for almost all games which use 3D), or down grade to 10.1 if you thought performance was better before you upgraded.

unfaded
Sep 29, 2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by brainchild2b:
Get New Kids. ;) ;)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Brainchild - you have recieved my vote for funniest post on the planet. I'm in tears.

Moose
Sep 29, 2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by godzookie2k:
Games have always performed better under 9 than X, tack it up to better drivers.

You're precious.

msuper69
Sep 29, 2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by [email protected]:
is the DA1 supported in jaguar/fcp 3.0.2?

The Sony DVMC-DA1 is most definitely supported in both iMovie and Final Cut Pro 3.0.2 in Jaguar.

I have it and it stopped working with the OS X Public Beta and Jaguar has brought it back to life.

:)

Fallout
Sep 29, 2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by bateman:

and kill the ones you had already.
and eat their corpses.

Deal
Sep 29, 2002, 11:43 PM
Does anybody know if Return to Castle Wolfenstein still works in 10.2.1?

sniffer
Sep 30, 2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by MS:
Cheesepuff, I am running 10.2.1 and I just bought Tony Hawk 2 for my son and I'm running the Tony Hawk2 for X. I just checked out their website and couldn't find an update listed. Is there one?
[..snip..]

I asked those at Aspyr a year ago if there could be an update for THPS2 around the corner solving a few OS X issues I found, and it seemed like there was little intrests in doing much at that moment. :rolleyes: Don't think anything has changed since than.. :(

sniffer
Sep 30, 2002, 02:33 AM

Ron Goodman
Sep 30, 2002, 09:07 PM
I just started Wolfenstein up under 10.2.1 and it seems to work fine.

pliny
Sep 30, 2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by sandsl:
Get a new machine

!!!
Here's a way cheaper idea--use OS 9.

MS: The older ATI Macs graphics have some problems with X--no matter the version. In general, the problem is slowness, freezing. Of course, QE is not supported.

One solution: switch from millions of colors to thousands, you should see an immediate speed improvement. There is a KB article on this.

Cipher13
Oct 1, 2002, 01:58 AM
Use OS9...

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 1, 2002, 10:49 AM
OS 9 will stop booting come January. ;)

pliny
Oct 1, 2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
OS 9 will stop booting come January. ;)

Not on the machine MS already has. Not on any machine already out. Well. Unless apple beams the OS 9 disabler signal from orbit. S.h.i.t., I just gave them the idea. :eek:

Vanquish
Oct 1, 2002, 02:56 PM
your kids are spoiled ;) :p