PDA

View Full Version : I suck as do the topics of my threads

brainchild2b
Sep 28, 2002, 04:12 AM
I suspect that we should see something along these lines on the television any day now.. Does anyone else notice how unfinished iCal is? The only explination anyone could have for such a horrific application is that the engineers all died.

There are many free calendars better than iCal. CEO Steve Jobs said "...and now we have the best calendaring software in the world..."

iCal doesn't offer you many choices. It's not a true, you choose it your way full blooded make application.

*Has webdav publishing problems.
Prints text in white over light background for events.

*No support for fonts or colors

*Printing is horrific. Can you say D R A W IT out by hand? If you have a event selected it turns a dark red color. When printing selected events are fed to the printer as a solid box. Save to PDF to test. The calendars print with a horrid UI. Printing a single day will cut off the rest and not remember to print off the bottom half of the schedule.

*It's very slow

*Events are not flexible enough

*The GUI sucks, even the HTML version of the calendars are better looking!

Please post all your problems with iCal as well.

Conclusion: iCal would be an embarassment at an office. You'd be fired if you did the bosses day in iCal. Personal use? It's too damn frustrating and as a person i like to be an individual(that's why i own a mac!) but ical offers no customization. Also on a g3 400mhz i use it's sooooooo slow it takes way to long to use. This app is for productivity. Using iCal to be productive is like washing your clothes with ink.

JLL
Sep 28, 2002, 04:42 AM
Well, I like it, but iApps 2.0 are usually much better, so I look forward to iCal nad iPhoto 2.0,

Mithras
Sep 28, 2002, 07:22 AM
What a horrible title. You should be ashamed.

curmi
Sep 28, 2002, 07:29 AM
Man, that title was really poor taste.

I laughed for some reason...mainly to stop myself from crying. Really bad...

chris v
Sep 28, 2002, 09:16 AM
Really. PLEASE change the title, out of respect to people here who might work at Apple, or know people who do.

Utterly tasteless.

CV

TC
Sep 28, 2002, 09:17 AM
So go and use some other software and pick a better title next time you start a topic.

MacGorilla
Sep 28, 2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Mithras:
What a horrible title. You should be ashamed.

Ditto. That title is repugnant.

brainchild2b
Sep 28, 2002, 10:35 AM
Got your attention didn't it? Maybe now it will get Apple's. It must be an American thing to be hypersensitve about everything. Lol (i'm in US and american) but people in europe have learned the suttle art of not being big babies. :) Who cares what the title says? Nobody was killed.

I already use another calendar. The problem is Apple releasing shitty software. Honestly how could anybody in testing at apple have thought that app was well done? Obviously they had to know it was half ass. And if a company knows that software is half ass and releases it anyway that says something about the company. They should have changed it to iCal 1.0b (beta)

scottiB
Sep 28, 2002, 11:00 AM
Got your attention didn't it? Maybe now it will get Apple's. It must be an American thing to be hypersensitve about everything. Lol (i'm in US and american) but people in europe have learned the suttle art of not being big babies.

No. I'm sure most people internationally would find the title tactless and classless. But don't change the title because of us since you're obviously pleased with yourself.

Oneota
Sep 28, 2002, 11:11 AM
I personally didn't find anything terribly wrong with the title, but then, I've always been tougher to offend than most.

MacGorilla
Sep 28, 2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by scottiB:

No. I'm sure most people internationally would find the title tactless and classless. But don't change the title because of us since you're obviously pleased with yourself.

Someone firing a bullet at me gets my attention but it doesn't mean thats the way you should do it.

CheesePuff
Sep 28, 2002, 11:24 AM
Idiot.

villalobos
Sep 28, 2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by scottiB:

I actually think it is funny (especially with the reference to the 'private jet'. Good stuff Brainchild). But yeah, humor is not allowed anymore in the US, except at the expense of other countries....

Freedom of speech eh?

Villa

OreoCookie
Sep 28, 2002, 11:36 AM
Take a look at OS X. I worked with the Public Beta. Pretty soon, I will install Jagwire.

From what I have seen, that is an enormous leap forward.

Same with all the iApps, they will evolve bit by bit.
BTW, iPhoto 1.5 is next, not 2.0.

slider
Sep 28, 2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by villalobos:

I actually think it is funny (especially with the reference to the 'private jet'. Good stuff Brainchild). But yeah, humor is not allowed anymore in the US, except at the expense of other countries....

Freedom of speech eh?

Villa

Jesus Christ! oh can I say that? Yeah, the title is no big deal, and yeah it made me look. I would agree with one of the posters above, iApps 1.0 vs iApps 2.0 and all that. I was wasting more time on where it was on the web, not so obvious for your regular joe. And lighten up everyone, like the man said, "no one die". Cracking a joke about someone after they die might be in bad taste, but that's just a timing time. Ahhh, bite me.

chris v
Sep 28, 2002, 11:58 AM
Humor?

That was posted as a headline, with absolutely no context upon which to base the humor. It'd give a good jolt to the husband or wife of any Apple software engineer that might be travelling.

That's like going to the lounge and posting the topic "President shot dead!!"

Then putting "Just kidding." in the message.

I, least of all, want to take away your constitutional right to be as crass, stupid, taseless and rude as the law will allow, but there's an old adage (Samuel Clemens, I think?) which reads:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

This is a privately owned foum, in which freedom of speech laws do not apply. As such, will a mod do the right thing and change the title, please?

CV

Nonsuch
Sep 28, 2002, 12:54 PM
Nicely said, chris v. Brainchild, at least put iCal in the title so people know what the f*** you're talking about!

Mac-arthur
Sep 28, 2002, 01:15 PM
Hey moron,

From someone who happens to have friends who are Apple Software Engineers, bite me you heartless A$$hole.

Arthur:mad:

villalobos
Sep 28, 2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by chris v:

I, least of all, want to take away your constitutional right to be as crass, stupid, taseless and rude as the law will allow, but there's an old adage (Samuel Clemens, I think?) which reads:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

You are happy now, you have been able to use a quote you apparently don't really understand, given the context in which you use it? Don't worry this is not 'my constitutionnal right' so feel free to take it away (although it already has been to a large extent anyway), since I am not american.

I am really amazed at all this political correctness. It just does not make sense. It still was a joke (that certain people will find funny, and others will not). You just gotta have to live with it.

This is a privately owned foum, in which freedom of speech laws do not apply. As such, will a mod do the right thing and change the title, please?

CV

Now let's just drop that one. This is not the right forum anyway.

Villa

K++
Sep 28, 2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by brainchild2b:
Got your attention didn't it? Maybe now it will get Apple's. It must be an American thing to be hypersensitve about everything. Lol (i'm in US and american) but people in europe have learned the suttle art of not being big babies. :) Who cares what the title says? Nobody was killed.

I already use another calendar. The problem is Apple releasing shitty software. Honestly how could anybody in testing at apple have thought that app was well done? Obviously they had to know it was half ass. And if a company knows that software is half ass and releases it anyway that says something about the company. They should have changed it to iCal 1.0b (beta)

Well when you can spell subtle ill take you seriously, now just change the topic title already to something more approprate.

pliny
Sep 28, 2002, 02:38 PM
misleading thread titles=way lame. :rolleyes:

stupidity reported

Adam Betts
Sep 28, 2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by pliny:
misleading thread titles=way lame. :rolleyes:

stupidity reported

I second. Just clicked on Report Abuse to see how it worked. The process of reporting abuse is very simple :)

MindFad
Sep 28, 2002, 03:11 PM
I'm not a terribly sensitive guy, but damn, bad choice for a title. I had a sinking sad feeling when I read it, and it took me a few sentences of your post to realize that it was a very bad joke. Don't care to report anything, but come on.

http://homepage.mac.com/mindfad/.Pictures/abuse.png

hellohello1
Sep 28, 2002, 03:15 PM
that title still shows up on the main page, and you are correct, it definitely does suck. man, not funny.

that is all i have to say.

Maflynn
Sep 28, 2002, 03:15 PM
What an awful and callous insensitive title. I can't even say its sophomoric but more like moronic.

If you think you can have an intelligent thread with that title your sadly mistaken. Just look at the responses, people are (for the most part) are incensed at the title with really discussing what you subject.

Like talking people should think before they type.

Mike

pliny
Sep 28, 2002, 03:29 PM
stupidity reported is just soemthing i like to use--doesn't mean, "You are hereby reported!"

thanks for changing the thread name, brainchild. cheers ;)

CharlesS
Sep 28, 2002, 05:32 PM
"1 Thread Starter Dies in MacNN Mob Lynching!"

swiz
Sep 28, 2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by villalobos:

I am really amazed at all this political correctness.

[B]

Villa

Its got nothing to do with being politically correct, its got to do with intelligence and taste.

rgoer
Sep 28, 2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by swiz:
Its got nothing to do with being politically correct, its got to do with intelligence and taste. Oh, jebus. This is getting this thread even more off-topic, but I feel I must say: though I hate to nitpick (especially with you, swiz, whom I generally hold in high regard 'round these parts), you are either lying to yourself or misinformed.

What went on in this thread has at least a little bit to do with being politically correct, it's got nothing to do with intelligence, and while taste played a big part it was just as incredibly wrong to become so zealous about such a subjective matter as it was to lie about a plane crash in the first place.

Let me explain.

1. Were it not for the recent years' rash of PC BS, there may have been a decent chance of people finding humor in the thread title (sick as that may seem to some). I am not saying that I, personally, found the thread title funny, or even anything short of wrong. Brainchild, however, is entitled to post whatever thread title he wants, regardless of what anybody may or may not think of what he wrote. As it turns out, many people (though they did not say "politically correct" exactly) balked at the sheer lack of any political correctness present in Brainchild's joke. They then voiced their opinions loudly and authoritatively. Opinions are very rarely uniform across a sampled population of any decent size, so I hope that nobody thinks they can justify a cricifiction of Brainchild's sense of humor on the basis that they "speak for the group."

2. There is no way possible that intelligence could have played a part in this (unless, of course, you were supposing that some people who participated in this thread did so by chance, lacking the mental capacity to read and comprehend the posts, randomly pecking keys to form a response that miraculously seemed to be on-topic and maybe even relevant). I am not saying that I, personally, have any reason to think that anyone, anywhere, is anything shy of a perfectly intelligent human being (or cleverly-programmed vBulliten thread-bot). Clearly, Brainchild is an intelligent person. First of all, he came up with a joke (albeit a joke that many found quite un-funny), and humor is known to rest within the upper echelons of brain-function. He realized he was being attacked, and defended himself--again, not the action of an un-intelligent person. He even showed that he could sympathize with those who so loudly derided him by changing the thread title, clearly something that required quite a bit of intelligence indeed. I can only reason, Swiz, that you made this remark about intelligence as an insult to Brainchild; low, indeed, and is it really any better (using the hyper-sensitive scales of "good" and "bad" as defined in this thread) than Brainchild's "offense" was in the first place?

3. Taste. Don't get me started on fscking taste. Who appointed any of you (or us, I should say, as I am ranting a bit here) to any position of moral regulation? It is quite bad enough, thank you very much, that these boards' silly garbage filters force me to spell fsck with an 's' instead of a 'u.' To scream bloody murder over a joke you do not find funny is no less childish than it is to make a joke about a tragedy to begin with.

I mean, come on. Let's drop it. No more insults. What was it that guy on Ally McBeal said (yes, I said Ally McBeal... shut up)? Bygones.

step
Sep 28, 2002, 06:58 PM
i'm just ticked off i was duped into reading "just another stupid ical whine" thread!

Love Calm Quiet
Sep 28, 2002, 11:23 PM
Ssheeesh! I hate that I missed the original tasteless thread title. [Don't bother filling me in.]

But tell me... how did it (apparently) get edited... without the 'edited' note at bottom? Did a moderator edit it ? silently? ewwwwww... that's kinda tasteless, too :(

villalobos
Sep 29, 2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by K++:

Well when you can spell subtle ill take you seriously, now just change the topic title already to something more approprate.

Nice one K++.... Real nice one......

Villa

villalobos
Sep 29, 2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
Ssheeesh! I hate that I missed the original tasteless thread title. [Don't bother filling me in.]

But tell me... how did it (apparently) get edited... without the 'edited' note at bottom? Did a moderator edit it ? silently? ewwwwww... that's kinda tasteless, too :(

well that always bugged me too. But I did edit one of my previous posts (for typos), and the edited just does not show up.
Not sure why.

villa

PS Rgoer: nice job. Not sure that is going to be understood by the targeted people but it was a nice post. Go 'Canes! :)

Vanquish
Sep 29, 2002, 06:20 AM
What's wrong with this title, who actually cares ? It's silly but not "horrible, you should be ashamed" or something like that. :rolleyes:

TC
Sep 29, 2002, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Oneota:
I've always been tougher to offend than most.

Your mum was telling me the same thing in bed last night.

Just trying to find the level.