PDA

View Full Version : When my .Mac expires, will my iChat stop working?

BoulderDash
Sep 28, 2002, 10:20 AM
Hey hey,
Since for iChat I use my .mac e-mail address as my AIM Service account; if I don't extend the .Mac service, will iChat stop working (since there won't be an e-mail to log into)?

Thanks!
BD

MacGorilla
Sep 28, 2002, 10:23 AM
It is my take that it will stop working but you can use iChat with AOl if you have an AOL Instant Messenger screen name.

scottiB
Sep 28, 2002, 10:31 AM
Nope, you're cool.
From MacCentral article (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0209/26.mac.php) :
While you will lose any files or information, you will not lose the ability to keep your username. Former iTools usernames will be kept for an indefinite period of time allowing users to sign-up for .Mac for the foreseeable future and keep their email address.

In fact, you can still use your .Mac username as your iChat login even if you haven't paid for the service. You will not have access to email or other features of the service, but you can still monitor and change your iChat password using the .Mac Web site.

"Usernames will be available for reactivation indefinitely," said Hayashi. "After the deadline a customer may choose to sign-up for .Mac and reactivate their .Mac user name if they have their password, but they should not expect to get their data. Usernames will also continue to work for iChat even if a customer decides not to sign up for .Mac. Customers can manage their password for iChat through the .Mac web site."

BoulderDash
Sep 28, 2002, 12:16 PM
Sweet... thanks.