View Full Version : iSync wacks .mac

asxless
Sep 28, 2002, 11:19 PM
iSync released and...
.mac mail = busted
iDisk = busted
.mac link on Apple's home page = busted

Well they said it was beta software;)

You'd think Apple would know better than to release beta software on a Saturday.

I just want my $49/yr .mac email back working:(

asxless in iLand

swiz
Sep 28, 2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by asxless:
isync released and...
.mac mail = busted
iDisk = busted

You'd think Apple would know better than to release beta software on a Saturday.

I just want my $49/yr .mac email back working;(

asxless in iLand

So that explains my password not working in Mail.app. Lame.

Mr. Blur
Sep 28, 2002, 11:28 PM
no connection to the two...just a server problem at apple i think. i was getting pw errors too but it seems to be back to normal again now.

passmaster16
Sep 28, 2002, 11:32 PM
iSync released and...
.mac mail = busted
iDisk = busted

I just want my $49/yr .mac email back working:(

asxless in iLand

nah, i think it's a server problem...i can't even access .mac from apple's website

asxless
Sep 28, 2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
no connection to the two...just a server problem at apple i think. i was getting pw errors too but it seems to be back to normal again now.
It's always nice to hear soothing words even when they are uh --- wrong. The Link to .mac on Apple's home page is STILL not working. Email is still not working. And gosh neither is the iDisk.

Of course this MAY not having anthing to do with iSync. But I really don't care. I'm paying for a service that has become even worse than when it was free.

asxless in iLand

asxless
Sep 28, 2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by passmaster16:
nah, i think it's a server problem...i can't even access .mac from apple's website

Gee that was in my orginal post;)

I'd call _NO .MAC SERVICE_ being 'wacked" but you Apple geniuses know better - "it's a server problem". DUH

asxless in iLand

passmaster16
Sep 29, 2002, 12:00 AM

Gee that was in my orginal post;)

I'd call _NO .MAC SERVICE_ being 'wacked" but you Apple geniuses know better - "it's a server problem". DUH

asxless in iLand

um, ok, you'll have to excuse my ignorance but I'm no "Apple" genius ;)

xi_hyperon
Sep 29, 2002, 12:01 AM
Yep. I was going to post a screenshot of the server error at mac.com, then I remembered, I'd have to upload that screenshot on my iDisk in order to post it. :D

piracy
Sep 29, 2002, 12:02 AM

Mr. Blur
Sep 29, 2002, 12:16 AM

It's always nice to hear soothing words even when they are uh --- wrong. The Link to .mac on Apple's home page is STILL not working. Email is still not working. And gosh neither is the iDisk.

Of course this MAY not having anthing to do with iSync. But I really don't care. I'm paying for a service that has become even worse than when it was free.

asxless in iLand oh...excuuuuse me. while my mail client no longer reports the pw errors, it does seem that the service is still down.

asxless
Sep 29, 2002, 01:19 AM
It looks like .mac is coming back onine now. Email is back up. my iDisk mounts. But the .mac link on the Apple Home page is still hosed.

Of course while .mac was 'wacked' (read having 'a server problem') the fact that I coudn't...

* backup to my iDisk
* backup to CD/DVD
* publish an iCal (it says it does but than can't find it)
* iSync anything
* get or send email
* access those critical documents I backed up to my iDisk

...kind of puts .mac 'services' into perspective:(

asxless in iLand

Mr. Blur
Sep 29, 2002, 01:25 AM
It looks like .mac is coming back onine now. Email is back up. my iDisk mounts. But the .mac link on the Apple Home page is still hosed.

Of course while .mac was 'wacked' (read having 'a server problem') the fact that I coudn't...

* backup to my iDisk
* backup to CD/DVD
* publish an iCal (it says it does but than can't find it)
* iSync anything
* get or send email
* access those critical documents I backed up to my iDisk

...kind of puts .mac 'services' into perspective:(

asxless in iLand yup...my mail is coming through now too.

remember - at the moment this is still a *free* service we are talking about. perhaps this was all some work being done in prep for cutting off the non-subscribers? seems to me the last outage was also a late in the evening weekend thing...maybe they figure thats when it'd cause the least frustration? just a thought anyway.....

yuriwho
Sep 29, 2002, 01:36 AM
This was not planned...on the same day they release isync? Clearly they are having unforseen technical problems.

yup...my mail is coming through now too.

remember - at the moment this is still a *free* service we are talking about. perhaps this was all some work being done in prep for cutting off the non-subscribers? seems to me the last outage was also a late in the evening weekend thing...maybe they figure thats when it'd cause the least frustration? just a thought anyway.....

asxless
Sep 29, 2002, 01:43 AM
remember - at the moment this is still a *free* service we are talking about.
Be serious.

Apple already has my money and its 'time value'. It would only be *free* if Apple had waited until Sept 30th to charge my credit card, which according to my statement they didn't do.

asxless in iLand

Mr. Blur
Sep 29, 2002, 01:50 AM

Be serious.

Apple already has my money and its 'time value'. It would only be *free* if Apple had waited until Sept 30th to charge my credit card, which according to my statement they didn't do.

asxless in iLand i *am* serious. you (and me too) paid for a year, and that year begins oct 1st...we'll see if that changes to the 14th....but today it is still free. and is it not common for say, your cable provider to charge in advance for the service (they do here). we could argue the point back and forth for hours, which i am not going to do. suffice to say that when my *paid* period begins, i too expect better reliability and they will hear from me if they do not provide it. :)

asxless
Sep 29, 2002, 02:13 AM
i *am* serious. you (and me too) paid for a year, and that year begins oct 1st...we'll see if that changes to the 14th....but today it is still free. and is it not common for say, your cable provider to charge in advance for the service (they do here). we could argue the point back and forth for hours, which i am not going to do. suffice to say that when my *paid* period begins, i too expect better reliability and they will hear from me if they do not provide it. :)

Well we agree that the service must improve on Oct 1st. Frankly, I'm not holding my breath;)

BTW I have no idea whether it is "common for say, your cable provider to charge in advance for the service" because I don't do cable. In any case, I make a point of minimising my business with any companies that 'charge in advance'.

asxless in iLand

eno
Sep 29, 2002, 01:25 PM
So this is the way of the future.

MS started it with .NET.

Apple is copying it with .Mac.

Welcome to the age of value-added, network-enhanced, "killer" iApps. If Apple cannot even perfect the way their software runs on the desktop (witness how damn crap iCal is), how do you expect them to build a robust set of functionality that operates over a global network?

They can't do it, and MS sure as hell can't either.

What a load of crap.

Mithras
Sep 29, 2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by piracy:

I see your point, piracy.