PDA

View Full Version : Appletalk not working in 10.2.1

runcoberry
Sep 29, 2002, 12:03 PM
My appletalk isn't running, however, the problem is that i can't get it to start running. I looked over all of my settings in System Prefs., but that came to nothing. I then began to try to start Appletalk from the Terminal, and that told me that the stack wasn't running. I did some more looking around, and found that I didn't that the file /etc/appletalk.cfg From reading the appletalk man pages, this seems to be a rather important file for Appletalk to run. I don't know how I lost this file. Can anyone help me?

[email protected]
(I really want [email protected])

piracy
Sep 29, 2002, 12:34 PM
Don't know what you mean by "lost that file". AppleTalk's functionality is controlled from the AppleTalk tab of each active network port on the Network pane of System Preferences. For example, if you want AppleTalk to be active over the Ethernet interface, you'd make sure Ethernet was selected on the Network pane, go to the AppleTalk tab, and activate it.

runcoberry
Sep 29, 2002, 12:58 PM
I have tried that in System Prefs., and it says that it's working, but then I try to prtint via appletalk, and it says that appletalk isn't on. So I tried to start appletalk in the terminal, and it told me that it wasn't running, although the System Prefs said that it was...that's why I am so confused. I am not sure that appletalk will work if the /etc/appletalk.cfg file is missing. I don't know where it went.

[email protected]

piracy
Sep 29, 2002, 03:08 PM
Why don't you try turning off AppleTalk, hit Apply Now, and turning it on again, and again hitting Apply Now. (And if that doesn't work, try turning it off, rebooting, and then re-enabling it).

All appletalk.cfg contains is the interface AppleTalk is active over, and it is automatically created by the system. For example, on a machine where AppleTalk is active on the primary ethernet interface (en0), /etc/appletalk.cfg contains:

en0:*

You DO NOT need to create this file yourself. If turning AppleTalk off and back on doesn't fix it (remember, you MUST hit Apply Now between each change you make), try creating a new location in Network, enabling and configuring all appropriate network interfaces, and making AppleTalk active again.

Brass
Sep 29, 2002, 10:06 PM
I've just had the same problem. AppleTalk has been working fine with 10.2.1 up until this morning... suddenly it just isn't there!

Brass
Sep 29, 2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Brass:
I've just had the same problem. AppleTalk has been working fine with 10.2.1 up until this morning... suddenly it just isn't there!

hmmm... a reboot fixed it for me. Have you tried that?

I don't know what caused it, and I hope it doesn't happen again, but at least now I know how to fix it.