PDA

View Full Version : Font Problems

Polopo43
Dec 30, 2002, 03:52 PM
Hello !
I have a word document in which I used the Zapf Dingbats font, specially the number 1 encircled (I cannot reproduce it here !!).
The problem is that I reformated the whole document into "Times" font. Now the number 1 encircled is looking like that "�". If I select it and turn it into Zapf Dingbats again, it becomes a 1 encircled again.

I would like to apply this to the whole document. To do this I tried to use the find and replace function of Word 10.1.1 but it doesn't work. The "replace with" field doesn't accept the 1 encircled.
The same thing happens with the find/replace function of InDesign 2.0.1.

Other strange thing, the Zapf Dingbats font doesn't seem to work in TextEdit.

Can someone help me ?
Thanks in advance !

Polopo
Mac OS 10.2.3, imac 17' :confused:

SMacTech
Dec 30, 2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Polopo43:

Other strange thing, the Zapf Dingbats font doesn't seem to work in TextEdit.

Can't help you on the search and replace but you are correct on the above statement.

bewebste
Dec 30, 2002, 04:13 PM
The reason that the find and replace won't work is that the character itself is the same, but Times and Zapf Dingbats have different glyphs for the character, so replacing the character won't do anything, you need to change the style of it instead.

I'm not an MS Word expert, so I don't know if there would be an easy way to do this. I'm pretty sure there is a "paste style" command somewhere though, so you could probably at least go through and do multiple finds and change the font for each character manually.

The reason Zapf Dingbats doesn't work with TextEdit is actually because the Cocoa text system is too smart for its own good. There is actually a separate range of Unicode values specified for the dingbat characters (9984-10175 to be specific). The Zapf Dingbats doesn't have any glyphs in the normal ASCII range, so typing plain characters will cause it to default to the system font. In order to type dingbats into TextEdit, you'd probably need to enable the Unicode keyboard input in the International prefs and enter the Unicode value for the character you want.