PDA

View Full Version : Help! Problems logging in after applying numerous updates.

eScrib
Aug 12, 2003, 08:48 AM
I just stepped into the 1990s yesterday and got DSL.

I had been putting off doing some of the software updates since I knew highspeed access was coming. Things like the recent airport update, the latest security update, X.2.6, Quicktime 6.3, iTunes 4.0.1, etc.

OK, so I selected what I wanted to update through Software Update, clicked install and walked away.

I came back, rebooted my machine, and it restarted fine.

I logged in under myself, and the stuff hit the fan.

My background came up, but the hard drive began to click. Very loud, and there was a pattern. Click, cli-cli-cli-click... It did that for about 3 second, and then repeated itself over and over and over...

I let it do that for about 30 seconds...

I then did a hard reboot, booted into single-user mode and ran fsck -y...

It came back with an invalid file count and thread problem. The exact errors escape me. fcsk could not fix the problem!

So I ran Diskwarrior 3 and everything got fixed through that app. I then booted back into single-user mode, ran fsck and the disk came back clean.

I then rebooted back into X, tried to log in under root and got the same click-cli-cli-cli-click sound over and over. Same place after logging in as before.

What can I do? I didn't run any firmware updates, just regular software updates. I tried to do an archive and reinstall, and the installed crashed; said there were "errors". Probably related to whatever is going on.

I really don't want to to a fresh install, but it's looking more and more likely.

Is it possible that the Finder got hosed?

What is the best way to minimize downtime? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Developer
Aug 12, 2003, 08:53 AM
Get a new hard disk.

eScrib
Aug 12, 2003, 08:59 AM
Any idea why I'm able to start up the computer just fine, without any disk issues?

Do you really think it's the disk?