PDA

View Full Version : GIMP, fink and osxoffice

ervier
Dec 16, 2001, 10:46 AM
I have installed osxoffice (Abiword and Gnumeric), but heard that I cannot use Fink anymore to install other programs like Gimp. I've looked for other installations, but didn't find any that have no problems with osxoffice. :(

Can I install Gimp by compiling the sourcecode, or does this cause problems too? What is causing these problems? I heard about a program that can unpack installer packages. Can I use that to extract the osxoffice apps, and install them safely?

MacGorilla
Dec 16, 2001, 02:35 PM
You can download The Gimp, ready to install from www.osxgnu.org. (http://www.osxgnu.org.) It is in .pkg format but the people who put them together are very good; they're packages are throughly tested and won't do Bad Stuff to your computer. I've installed a lot of stuff from their web size with no problems!

Gary Kerbaugh
Dec 17, 2001, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by ervier:
<STRONG>I have installed osxoffice (Abiword and Gnumeric), but heard that I cannot use Fink anymore to install other programs like Gimp.</STRONG>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I find it rather hard to believe that installing a UNIX app could disable fink. The only thing I can think of is that it might install it's own version of XFree86. It might install a version without header files or something.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;My advice would be to let Fink download both packages. You'll have to move Abiword (is its default template named "AbiNormal"?) from unstable to stable but I've installed it. It works OK.

ervier
Dec 19, 2001, 09:37 AM
I've downloaded the osxgnu-package, and this installed almost without problems. Because I installed on a different partition than osx, I had to make a link to the proper share-folder after starting gimp for the first time. At first I was disappointed that it didn't work right away (but what else is new), but it was quite satisfying to solve it without asking for help.

So far the succes-story, now again some problems: I can start gimp, but cannot open images :( I tried to open .tiff, .jpg and .psd images, but I get the message that the file-type is unknown, so it can't open the file. The drop-down box 'determine file type' only has two options, automatic and gimp-images.

Does anyone know what to do?