PDA

View Full Version : "getGMTTimeOfDay" at startup?

starfleetX
Dec 18, 2001, 01:18 PM
I have enabled verbose mode vie Open Firmware so I can watch all the events scroll past. Sometimes when I reboot OSX (10.1.1) I get this message about the time just a few lines from the start:
...snip...
Copyright (c) 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993
The Regents of the University of California. All Rights Reserved.

using 2129 buffer headers and 1064 cluster IO buffer headers
ApplePlatformExpert::getGMTTimeOfDay can not provide time of day RTC did not show upNow, this seems to be directly related to the problems Mac users with dual proecssors are having with the clock resetting each time they reboot. I am one of those such users, and each time I reboot and get that mesage, my clock resets to Dec 31, 1969 (however, the GMT without adjusting for the time zone would be 00:00 Jan 1, 1970).

:confused: Does anyone here know why the message would be appearing and resetting the clock? Do you have any better description of what that line means?

Thanks in advance. :)

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]

Scrod
Dec 18, 2001, 03:54 PM
Boy is that rude of Apple! Their machines won't even give the user the time of day! har har.

Anyway from whatis.com:
A real-time clock (RTC) is a battery-powered clock that is included as part of a microchip in a computer motherboard. This microchip is usually separate from the microprocessor and other chips and is often referred to simply as "the complementary metal-oxide semiconductor." A small memory on this microchip stores system description or setup values - including current time values stored by the real-time clock. The time values are for the year, month, date, hours, minutes, and seconds. When the computer is turned on, the Basic Input-Output Operating System (BIOS) that is stored in the computer's read-only memory (ROM) microchip reads the current time from the memory in the chip with the real-time clock.

It sounds like a hardware problem, or at least a motherboard driver implementation problem.