PDA

View Full Version : hostname question

Kristoff
May 11, 1990, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
<STRONG>

Are yuo sure you mean /etc/hostconfig? I looked at that file and I didn't see anything about changing a host. </STRONG>

Yeah...it's the line that says HOSTNAME=-AUTOMATIC-
change AUTOMATIC to be whatever you want the hostname to be.

[APi]TheMan
Feb 27, 2002, 10:36 PM
I have a dyndns.or hostname, and I'd like to know if it would be possible for me to set my hostname on OSX to be that hostname.

The name is thefro.homeunix.org. I was told that I would need to have control of reverse DNS, and I'm not sure if that is possible... Or if it is, how I could do this.

Also, the computer that I would like to set this on, this laptop, is behind a firewall, so that might be a limiting factor... :/

Kristoff
Feb 28, 2002, 12:27 AM
edit /etc/hostconfig and set the hostname

then forward the appropriate ports from you firewall to your laptop.

[APi]TheMan
Feb 28, 2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Kristoff:
<STRONG>edit /etc/hostconfig and set the hostname

then forward the appropriate ports from you firewall to your laptop.</STRONG>

Are yuo sure you mean /etc/hostconfig? I looked at that file and I didn't see anything about changing a host. I saw settings for the host, like what services to provide, but I think that the /etc/host file would be more appropriate for that, wouldn't it?

Also, my laptop is the DMZ host on my network, so no ports would need forwarding. :)

[APi]TheMan
Feb 28, 2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
<STRONG>

Are yuo sure you mean /etc/hostconfig? I looked at that file and I didn't see anything about changing a host. I saw settings for the host, like what services to provide, but I think that the /etc/host file would be more appropriate for that, wouldn't it?

Also, my laptop is the DMZ host on my network, so no ports would need forwarding. :)</STRONG>

Just kidding, the /etc/host file is not even a file, I must have been thinking of /etc/hosts, but it appears that file is not where I set my hostname, either.

Hmmm.

<who?>
Mar 1, 2002, 05:19 PM
bump

sfhipster
Mar 1, 2002, 06:10 PM
<STRONG>

Yeah...it's the line that says HOSTNAME=-AUTOMATIC-
change AUTOMATIC to be whatever you want the hostname to be.</STRONG>

that will change it locally. but, when a lookup of your IP occurs, it will not resolve to whatever you call it unless you have control over your ip block, and can put an entry into your authoritative dns server for your domain.

Kristoff
Mar 2, 2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by sfhipster:
<STRONG>

that will change it locally. but, when a lookup of your IP occurs, it will not resolve to whatever you call it unless you have control over your ip block, and can put an entry into your authoritative dns server for your domain.</STRONG>

You are correct.
But if you re-read the first post, he is trying to set the hostname to a dyndns.org hostname, so he does have control over his NAME-&gt;IP resolution. Or am I misunderstanding the whole point of dyndns.org's service?

[APi]TheMan
Mar 2, 2002, 02:57 PM
<STRONG>

You are correct.
But if you re-read the first post, he is trying to set the hostname to a dyndns.org hostname, so he does have control over his NAME-&gt;IP resolution. Or am I misunderstanding the whole point of dyndns.org's service?</STRONG>

Yeah, I think that it's not possible. Thanks for the help, guys. :)