PDA

View Full Version : Crash, OS 9.1 booted up

NDBounce
Apr 8, 2001, 03:34 AM
For the first time OS X crashed on me. The dock froze and I force quit everything and the finder didn't relaunch.

Now here is the odd part, when the machine rebooted, it did so in OS 9.1, and boy was 9.1 running FAST! I don't think it was running fast in comparison to OS X, but even faster then I ever recalled it running. Netscape and Word 2001 are taking very little time to boot! I'm so excited about my 9.1 performance boost that I may not return to OS X for a while. This is incredible! Plus I can print from 9.1, Use a word processor other than TextEdit, and the biggest advantage is how much quicker I'm able to navigate 9.1 (mainly b/c I am more familiar with it than OS X, and b/c my apple menu is so well customized to me). Also I noted that I seem to be able to manuever through open stuff in OS 9.1 than in 10 (again b/c going to the dock is not as natural as going to the upper right corner to me...I can't tell you how many times I've toggled between the time/date display when I wanted to switch between my web browser and mail program).

Anyway, has anyone else experieced such a phenomina? I'm mostly interested in why my puter booted up in OS 9.1 instead of OS X. I don't think I would have ever looked back had it not done this. Now I am really torn as to which system I like better. I like the aqua look, but I often feel like I can't maneuver my clutter (windows, open apps, etc) as well as I can in OS 9.1

While I'm on the topic, is there a way to do the following in OS X

1) Create something like the Open Application thingy found in the upper right corner of OS 9.1. I miss this a lot, it is handy when you want to toggle between open apps (eg cutting and pasting from a document in to an email)

2) Use window shades (the upper right corner of a mac OS 9.1 window)

3) Use the Apple Menu similar to the way it is used in 9.1. I currently have aliases of all my games in a foler called Games under the apple menu, all my internet stuff aliased in a folder called internet stuff in my apple menu, etc etc. I find this a very handy way to access the applications. Very much like the windows start menu (which while I detest windows, I must admit that this is one nice feature of windows in that you can access almost all your apps from the start menu).

Let me know about this,

O
B unce!

P.S. I have not tried to reboot in OS X yet...I hope it still works
P.P.S. I wonder if my speed boost has to do with running that Sudo command that is posted as a meand to speed up OS X...would it make sense that this command might also be the cause of the speed boost I'm noticing in 9.1?

Cipher13
Apr 8, 2001, 03:50 AM
Ok, I gotta run, back in an hour, then I'll finish this post...

The reason it booted into OS9 was cause you probably booted into OSX via open boot right? (option at startup).

That doesnt' set a solid preference, and it uses the system/startup disks cdevs prrefs unless you open boot again.

Get what I mean? i'll fix this in an hour.

------------------
http://homepage.mac.com/cipher13/.Pictures/ciphsig.gif

NDBounce
Apr 8, 2001, 05:05 PM
I think I understand you Cipher. You are saying that since it was my first boot in OS X (and I think it was b/c I usually sleep my puter and don't shutdown) that the prefs wouldn't set until I restart or shutdown, similar to the way that control panels in 9.1 often don't set until after a restart (ie if you change something, and then crash in 9.1 often the change isn't remembered/recorded, to get it to take effect you need to restart). Anyway that explains it.

And for the speed boost? Does anyone know why OS 9.1 seems to be a speed demon all of a sudden? I find that Word 2001 and Word perfect etc are opening ridiculously fast.

interactive_civilian
Apr 8, 2001, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by NDBounce:
And for the speed boost? Does anyone know why OS 9.1 seems to be a speed demon all of a sudden? I find that Word 2001 and Word perfect etc are opening ridiculously fast.

Are you sure it is not simply a perceived speed-boost after using OS X rather than an actual speed boost from your previous use of OS 9?

I don't mean to sound like a troll, but OS X is incredibly slow, especially with it's UI (incidently, other than the speed, I do love OS X. It has allowed me to accomplish many things that were less efficient in OS 9...I can't wait until the speed issue is taken care of and I have nothing to complain about http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/wink.gif ). Anyway, every time I boot into OS 9.1, it seems incredibly snappy compared to X (though I immediately find myself missing the true preemptive multitasking). Of course, there are only 4 reasons I boot into 9.1 right now: watch a DVD (a known missing feature), watch a VCD (not sure why X can't mount a VCD file system), watch a DivX (who knows when we'll be able to decode divX as a quicktime extension...speaking of which, anyone know when the indeo video extensions will be ported to X quicktime 5?), or play a few games that require speedy responsiveness (UT, Oni).

If it is an actual speed boost, then you must have changed something in your OS 9 system while in OS X. Were you using it for you classic environment system folder in X? If so, did you do anything to tweak it to run faster in X? If so, then these tweaks are probably the source of your speed boost.
Anyway, that is all I can think of. HTH.

Noxious
Apr 9, 2001, 12:27 AM
NDBounce:

Unfortunately , I've have several Kernel Panics and Three times the very thing that happened to you, happened to me. The Interface started acting weird, the finder crashed and started to reload, than the dock moved off the screen and the computer locked up. Than it started up in OS 9. I have never used the option boot trick to choose startup disk, always the control panel/preference.

But, BEWARE. The first time this happened, it was merely a reset of the startup disk to get back to OS 10. But the second and third time I lost EVERYTHING. I had to erase the HD and start over.

Read on for the details:

Here's how it went. OS 10 crashes. OS 9 starts loading, only it load super fast. Than something I've never seen; up pops dialogs asking about all my USB devices, *including* the built in Apple devices. (the ones built into the system file, not in the extension folder) It said I had no USB drivers for my Apple keyboard, for example. It loaded less into the OS than holding down the shift key (disabling extensions). At first I thought something was wrong with something on the USB chain, but rebooting with nothing plugged into the USB ports did not help. And then when I plugged the APPLE keyboard in, the OS asked if I want to look on the Internet to find drivers for it. Also, the Finder isn't using the right fonts. The menu Bar font is not a font I even know, very condensed. Defiantly not one you can select in Appearance control panel. I think it was one included with OS 10 I haven't used yet.

Ok, so OS 9 in hosed for some reason. I set startup disk to OS 10. It starts booting, everything seems normal. But, when the window that shows what's currently loading disappears, the computer stops loading. I end up with a blue screen and a cursor to move around. No "Log In" window. No "Dock." No "Finder." No "Force quit." Nothing.

And, nothing I do brings up a working OS 10 or 9. One crash from everything perfect to two OS's disabled. Not good to say the least. This has happened twice

But, it gets better...

Ok, fine...it's still beta(contrary to what Apple says) I have a backup of my Documents (thank god). I boot up with the OS 9.1 CD. Delete the system folder, system, everything but my 10 gig's of mp3's and Documents. Install OS 9. Install all the extensions etc, bringing me back to where I was before. everything working good in OS 9 again.

Now onto OS 10. Install, reboot, and it dose the same thing as before and doesn't load up all the way! After deleting almost everything on the hard drive and reinstalling, it still doesn't work.

But wait, it gets worse...I can't do a proper shutdown because there is no menu bar or anything so I hit the restart button. Hell again because OS 9 is hosed again. just like before!

Hours wasted, I finally erase the hard drive and that takes care of the problems. Some kind of invisible file was bad and causing problems I think. Since OS 10 has been out I've had to erase and start over twice. OS 10 may not crash as much as 9, but when it dose, cross your finders 'cause its' going down HARD.

I also had a folder that had its' contents disappear and then I couldn't delete the folder because of some kind of error. Don't remember the number. In OS 9, I couldn't delete it either. It gave me a different error number and the folder started showing up in more than one location at the same time. That was fixed when I had to erase the Hard Drive.

But, I guess I'm a gluten for punishment, 'cause I'm posting from Omniweb as we speak. Apple can't update OS 10 fast enough. Please Apple, make it all good again. I may have been spoiled by the refinement, completeness, stability, and speed of OS 9.

One last thing. Where's Nortan Utilities and Tech Tool Pro?

btw. 400mgz. G4 tower, 640megs ram, 1 40gig HD, 1 10gig HD, Retail Radeon 32DDR (tried useing my Voodoo 4 PCI for second monitor. Dose not work at all for me. removed), MS optical Trackball Explorer, and Apple Pro Keyboard(still miss the old power button). oh ...and, the latest Firmware update. All ram still worked afterwards (Go Ramjet).