PDA

View Full Version : running linuxppc 2000 on imac/rev a

appleuzer
Jul 26, 2000, 06:24 PM
hi, i recently deleted my mac OS and partitioned my drive in 3. then booted off burned linuxPPC2k CD and entered installer. I formatted the partitions into Unix format and went ahead and installed the OS, WHICH TOOK 2 HOURS!!! but then, when i rebooted, it did not boot into linux!!!! HElp!!! what distribution can i use to use linux on an imac. I am very new to linux so im having trouble!!!! Please help!!! thanks!!!!

s1mpl3
Jul 26, 2000, 11:44 PM
This is actually a tricky process. You have two options when installing LinuxPPC 2K.
1) Dual Boot
2) Linux Only.
Dual Boot can be done with several utilities all of which are on the CD
Linux Only. You SHOULD, since its the most fail proof way, make a /boot partition. It is HFS format, it is aboud 40MB. It is for a "System Folder" to fool your Mac's Open Fireware into thinking its booting standard MacOS. If you don't make a /boot partition you might be able to boot of the LinuxPPC CD and type linuxppc at the prompt instead of install.
There is a PDF on the CD that glosses over this.

Strange thing is thier installer fails about 50% of the time, using the same exact partition setup and same exact install options. So you may have to repeat the process. I installed a early kernel/CD of LinuxPPC 2K when it came out. Thier port of the RedHat installer is worse than RedHats origional installer (which is difficult to do) and hardly worked.