PDA

View Full Version : MacOS X on Intel

centre21
Mar 5, 1999, 01:07 AM
I'm sure that nobody wants to address this topic, but I find it hard to believe that nobody values the idea of having a version of the Macintosh to run on Intel and Intel-based hardware. Hell, even WinNT runs on PowerPC (so does Linux for that matter). I just don't think that this has gotten enough press to allow it to die this abruptly. If you agree with me, don't write me, write Apple. If you really want to bombard Apple with replies, try posting here: http://survey.info.apple.com/feedback/feedback.qry?function= complaint. It couldn't hurt, right?

[This message has been edited by centre21 (edited 03-06-99).]

dcoyle
Mar 5, 1999, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple ported OS X to run on Merced when it's available. Even IBM,etc. is porting AIX,etc. because of the anticipated success of Intel/HP's 64-bit chip. I would be very surprised, however, to see anything but Yellow-box support for NT on x86. It would simply not be worth the effort.

Dan

laird
Mar 5, 1999, 09:46 AM
Apple appears committed to not shipping MacOS X Server for Intel, because they are completely focused on making the G3's successful. In terms of business strategy, this makes sense -- launching an OS to take on WinNT and Linux in the enterprise space seems, at best, a real long shot for Apple. They're still committed to Yellow Box runtimes for Windows 95 and NT.

In terms of developer and customer relations, this is pretty rotten, though, since Apple very clearly committed to shipping MacOS X Server for Intel, and companies built products based on that promise. Also, it would have been a good way for Apple to get their "foot in the door" at all-PC shops.

I still have hope that Apple may ship MacOS X Server for Intel, spinning it as a "GUI over Linux".

But it's clear that comitting resources based on Apple promises is foolish.

smoothy
Mar 13, 1999, 04:23 AM
And commiting resources to MS promises isn't foolish?

smoothy
Mar 13, 1999, 04:25 AM
No multiple posts! Don't do it.

[This message has been edited by Mark J Hershenson (edited 03-13-99).]

centre21
Mar 15, 1999, 09:49 PM
I don't like to take things out of context, so to see the whole article check out www.macosrumors.com. But for those of us who like to get straight to the point, look at this tidbit that the folks at MacOS Rumors felt good enough to share with us after they got a chance to view MacOS X Server:
"Don't write off the Intel version of OS X just yet; although Apple has made it clear they have no immediate plans for an x86 Rhapsody, the complete build of Server running on a Pentium III/500 workstation and a second machine using an AMD K6-3 450 drives the point home -- because of the nature of the OS X development process, Apple doesn't have to put much effort at all into keeping an Intel-compatible version (with complete feature parity with the PPC version, minus the Blue Box and Carbon) of the OS running internally"
I find it to be quite encouraging.