PDA

View Full Version : OSX Server & ASIP...The Future

Keda
Dec 3, 1999, 01:55 PM
I have read that Apple plans to merge its two server solutions into one. I assume this OSX Server of the future would include ASIP's xplatform client file-Serving support.

Does anyone have an idea of the timeframe for this, or more info?

fleshhorn
Dec 3, 1999, 04:37 PM
What do you mean? they already are almost 100% merged. the only thing missing is native apple services to windows clients, but you can use Samba. I assume a version beyond the upcoming 1.2 will offer these features.

arthurdent
Dec 3, 1999, 07:42 PM
fleshhorn knows a lot about the Mac, but his responses are sometimes unnecessarily brusque... as are mine. Please forgive our occasional impatience.

MacOSX Server in its current incarnation can be a fine file serving system, using FTP, NFS, or AppleShare-over-IP. The interface for OSXS's system is not nearly as polished or elegant as that for ASIP 6.x, particularly 6.3. And, as fleshhorn mentioned, OSXS cannot yet serve files for Windows machines.

As Apple moves users old and new to OSX and away from the classic MacOS, OSXS's file serving abilities will be given more attention. So we'll know probably within 8 months what the future holds for AppleShareIP, or whether it has a future in an OSX world.

fleshhorn
Dec 3, 1999, 08:48 PM
I will admit I am pro OS X Server but ASIP serves a great seat for machines that X will not run on. At Tripod Inc, our whole design department runs off of an 8600/200 ASIP 6.3, OS 9. It works perfect, faster than those POS Linux boxes with AFS. I'm glad it still holds a place for development at Apple for the Classic MacOS.

Keda
Dec 6, 1999, 01:57 PM
The reason I ask is that I would like to see Apple become a truly competetive soultion in the server world. I work as a web developer, but have a small 2platform network at home (so I have a working knowledge networks).

I have been talking to the tech guy at my company about the future of the MacOS. Right now, we are served by NT. He would like to switch to UNIX.He is relatively opened minded, but, when he learned the OSX does not have native support for Windoze clients, the doors shut.

Look, forget about add-ons. Those should be for special case situations. I have read several articles which compared ASIP's file serv speed to NT. As usual, Mac kicks ass. If Apple is to be a player in the serving world, its serving package needs to have native, xplatform file-sharing support(like ASIP).

Until there is _one_ Apple-branded serving solution, "almost 100%" wont mean a thing. Marketing will suffer and the platform will continue to be refered to as a "toy" by the NT drones out there.

fleshhorn
Dec 7, 1999, 05:15 PM
NT is a goddam toy. Any joe blow that can click a mouse can set it up, which isn't bad, too bad it performs like the chips it runs on, crap. Anyone who has any respect in the networking and administration world knows and runs a flavor of UNIX on their servers.

Keda
Dec 8, 1999, 11:45 AM
I heard that!! With the exception of the graphics/web department, this company is assimilated. The 'powers the be' are in favor of "standardization" (ie get rid of the Macs). They consider themselves to be very knowledgeable and important people. But the truth be konw, they dont know ship about computers (aside from an asorted collection of buzz words).

Fleshhorn, I feel your pain, but the sad truth is that NT(POS that it is) is viewed by many to be THE way to go. Is UNIX better? Without a doubt!

This is why I am very excited about the MacOS building on this proven technology. In my previous post, I wrote about what I see as a critical element to the success of Mac Serving (filesharing). Companies who are mainly or all peecee will not switch platforms over night. But, they will replace a server. ASIP will probably be folded into OSX Server. If this product maintains the best of both apps, it surpass NT in every respect.

One last thing. Perception is reallity. I live in the Washington DC area. Its harder to find a 7-11 than an MCSE. These people have been indoctrinated to view everything thats not Small&Limp (MS) to be a joke. It seems that everyother company is backed by MS venture capital. MS is the hand that feeds many of these people. So they wont bite it until they KNOW there is more food out there.

Patrick Scott
Feb 9, 2000, 04:12 PM
I also live in the DC area. It's hard to find ANYONE qualified to work for acceptable pay. Sigh....

As far as Windows NT being a POS - I disagree. yes, it does some things poorly, but other things better. You don't use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail, ya know? I run a Linux/Unix/Mac OS X/Windows NT server farm.

Dartagnan
Feb 9, 2000, 05:25 PM
You can get SMB support (ie: WinNT networking) through a software product called SAMBA, which is available for MacOS X Server. Please see the following link for details: http://www.xappeal.org/archive/sambaosxs.shtml

PS: I have not run this solution personally... my MacOS X Server system has been temporarily taken away from me! :�(

Dartagnan
Feb 9, 2000, 05:29 PM
You can get SMB support (ie: WinNT networking) through a software product called SAMBA, which is available for MacOS X Server. Please see the following link for details: http://www.xappeal.org/archive/sambaosxs.shtml

PS: I have not run this solution personally... my MacOS X Server system has been temporarily taken away from me! :�(

Keda
Feb 11, 2000, 10:30 AM
NT is a better Print Server. It is a respectable system, yada, yada, yada...

I still think its a POS. Why? BSOD! When NT goes, it takes everything with it. We recently lost a HD of graphics work when NT crashed. Im not the tech guy, we have a posse of MCSEs (some of these guys have been working on computers for 15-20 years) and they are unable to resurect the system.

POS...