PDA

View Full Version : MacOSX Server or Linux

bebox
Nov 13, 1999, 05:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone has could compare
a G3/G4 MacOSX Server running Apache Server
with a G3/G4 running Linux and Apache Server?
I'd like to know how the speeds compare,
how reliability is etc.
thanks
Borna

Pais
Nov 21, 1999, 03:57 AM
Well, to be honest, Mac OS X Server still has quite a ways to go until it is a fully rounded operating system. Things like unaccelerated video really weigh down heavy upon the benefits of the OS.

It is, however, essentially UNIX, and so it comes very close to the performance seen with Apache on Linux.

It should also be noted that Linux support is still fairly premature for the Mac (even with recent versions of LinuxPPC) compared to the x86 architecture. Linux is just so much more robust and well-rounded in terms of support and optimizations for the x86, in my personal experience.

Because Linux is a completely open OS, it is far more scalable than Mac OS X Server. You can tone Linux down to a bare-bones, GUI-less, lean, mean, serving machine, whereas Mac OS X Server isn't *quite* as customizable.

Overall, I don't think it makes a huge difference between the two OSes. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I would recommend trying both of them out for a while, if possible; I think that's the best way to go.

wormman
Nov 23, 1999, 04:06 AM
One reson I might recoment MacOS X server is for reliability. I have had my server running for 9 months without a single crash or problem, and I know many others who have had the same experience.

Linux is messy and complicated, but if your more one of those people that like to get their hands dirty and feel the power of endless configuration, go with linux. As for accelerated video, who cares for a server, I don't.

fleshhorn
Dec 2, 1999, 01:21 PM
Do a clean install of Mac OS X Server 1.02 and the latest version of LinuxPPC R5. Compare the web access speeds under heavy access loads. You will notice the OS 10 machine is similar to Linux under low access, when they come under heavy load, the OS 10 Server will handle it, while the Linux box flattens out.