PDA

View Full Version : MacOS X Server & LinuxPPC ?

asagoo
Aug 24, 1999, 12:34 PM
Is it somehow possible to run LinuxPPC alongside MacOS X Server, the same way you can run it alongside Mac OS 8?
I suppose you can't, but I'm not sure.

AArthur
Aug 26, 1999, 11:31 AM
The best thing to look into if you are interested in get Mac OS X Server working on top of LinuxPPC, is the Mac-on-Linux project.

Their goal is to create a free opensource runtime enviroment, that natively can run an PowerPC OS. One of the stumbling blocks right now is it does not yet support Open Firmware -- although you should be able to use an OS if it has an Booter from inside Mac OS 8.x (like BootX for LinuxPPC or I believe the Mac OS X Server has an booter from inside the Mac OS also).

Mac-on-Linux currently has been tested booting LinuxPPC R5, and Mac OS 9.0 -- so I wouldn't think getting it to boot Mac OS X Server would be too hard.

A few things that may make it a bit harder:

- Mac-on-Linux usually emulates a 604 processor, no matter what your processor model really is. This should be fine for Mac OS X Server.
- You may need a ROM image from a 8500-like computer to get this to work -- otherwise on some machines the Mac OS refuses to boot.
- You don't have OpenFirmware to boot into another OS -- so you have to use a Mac OS booter to get you into anoter OS (or hack Mac-On-Linux to boot by default to another OS).

Happy Hacking.

FTP Site: <a href="ftp://ftp.nada.kth.se/home/f95-sry/Public/mac-on-linux /"> ftp://ftp.nada.kth.se/home/f95-sry/Public/mac-on-linux/ </a>
Web Site: <a href="http://www.ibrium.se/linux/"> http://www.ibrium.se/linux/ </a>

Thanks,

Andrew B. Arthur aka AArthur
[email protected]
AIM: arthur998

[Edit 1: Opps.. Forgot the URLs | Edit 2: Spelled ibrium.se correctly ;-)]

[This message has been edited by AArthur (edited 08-26-99).]

0verseer
Aug 28, 1999, 08:07 PM
The problem there, though, is that in fact Mac-on-Linux currently has trouble with the G3 Yosemite (principle OS X platform). The problem is said to be the ROM, but from my personal experience the kernal adjustments to the LinuxPPC side have been volitile to my machine. Late developements to MOL suggest that these errors might be fixed (well, at least they improved on it last time I tried.) Perhaps if you used another ROM image you might manage to get this whole thing to work. If somebody manages to get MOL to work on a G3 Yosemite Rev. 2 please tell me.

Another future option maybe <a href="http://www.sheepshaver.com/">Sheepshaver</a>, which is practicly a sister project to Mac-on-Linux. The only problem is that the last time they posted any news was months ago, and even then all they were announcing was the beta release of the program on linux. I'm not in touch with the programmers, but all I can tell you is that SheepShaver can in both a window and full screen. Unfortunately, I am guessing there is no Mac OS X support available, even on the BeOS SheepShaver, which is the OS the program was originally for. Again, please email me if you here any news. Thanks!

------------------
FNORD
[email protected]

jhaas
Aug 29, 1999, 11:32 AM
SheepShaver can't run OS X Server -- they've already said that.

best,
jhaas

cmartin
Aug 30, 1999, 08:45 AM
The question doesn't seem to be that you want Mac OS X Server inside LinuxPPC, but rebootable into it. Right? if so...

Yes, LinuxPPC and MacOS X Server can coexists, but I'd use different harddrives. if you only have one HD, I would format it 1 partition of say, 1+GB MacOS extended (Install MacOS 8.6 here) and the second partition would be MacOS Extended of say around 2-5 GB (This will be MacOS X Server) the third partition would be 2GB of MacOS extended this is where you will install LinuxPPC and you will need a 4th partition for Linuxswap.

install MacOS 8.6 (reboot a few times and make sure that everything works)
install Mac OS X Server (reboot and login a few times and make sure that everything works)
boot off the OS X Server CD, run System Disk choose the Mac OS 8.6 volume, reboot
install LinuxPPC on the last two partitions (extended and the 100MB or so swap part.)

to boot into Mac OS X Server, use system disk to choose the rhapsody partition

to boot into Mac OS, you may be able to choose the disk in startup disk inso MacOS.app (bluebox) if not, boot off Mac OS X Server CD and run system disk, choose Macintosh HD with Mac OS 8.6

to boot into LinuxPPC do the above and then choose linuxppc when bootX appears.

Later

Chris