PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading 'classic' apps to OSX

Keda
Jan 28, 2000, 11:33 AM
Like many of you, Im sure I will have OSX before I have any applications to run on it. The main factor is money. Even if Adobe does as it says, and has all its apps carbonized the day OSX ships, I wont be able to afford to upgrade all of them at once.In the beggining, I will be working in the 'classic' environment most of the time.

I am curious if anyone knows how the upgrade proccess would be from classic to OSX. Would the current app be updated, or would a whole new app be installed? Also (speaking of Adobe), what about plug-ins and filters? Will KPT 5, etc, work in OSX Photoshop?

Seagull
Jan 28, 2000, 10:20 PM
Upgrading a regular Mac OS application to a carbon application involves the use of the CarbonLib SDK from Apple. Apart from adding some carbon related files into the projects, the source code of the application needs to be update as well, because there are many differences between the Mac Toolbox in the regular Mac OS and the Carbon API in the Mac OS X.

For the large applications like those made by Adobe, it will take a lot of work to carbonize them. Because of that, I think it will not be free to update your regular Mac OS applications to Mac OS X applications. As for the plugins, I think some may work and some may not.

By the way, you can read the thread http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum11/HTML/000388.html for a bit more about carbon applications. If you go to my page which I put there, download BasicApp and look at the source code, you will see there are many diffences between the source code of a regular Mac OS application and that of the Mac OS X.