PDA

View Full Version : G4 Yikes and OSX Installation

keston
Feb 19, 2000, 11:20 AM
I can boot from the mac osx cd fine, but when i try to install, it gives me an error saying its unable to configure the mac to start from mac osx cd.

I removed my adaptec 2906 scsi card, my extra 64MB ram, my 20gb hd, zip, and still had the same problem.

Well, after some testing it seems to me like it may be related to the cd-rom drive that came with my G4. It apparently cannot see the mac osx partition on the cd. I can see the osx partition via the system disk util when the cd is in the cdr drive, but not when in the g4 cd drive.

The installer and system disk util can see it when i put the cd in my scsi cdr drive, but since that is on the 2906 scsi (which isnt bootable) that wont work. The same problem occurs with osx server installation attempt. If anyone has the same ide cd drive in thier g4 (M A T S H I T A CR-589), let me know if you've come across the same problem.

Adam Silver
Feb 19, 2000, 11:30 AM
Mac OS X Server does not support G4s. You'll have to wait for version 1.2.

keston
Feb 19, 2000, 03:18 PM
Is "does not support", the same as "does not work"? I've heard of people running it on various "unsuported" machines. Someone confirm?

Phatbinary
Feb 19, 2000, 06:40 PM
The Yikes G4s are newer than MOSX server version <1.2, so you can't run it, because it is lacking support for the new G4 hardware.
In general, "unsupported" means "may run it if you are lucky" for older Macs, and "can't run it yet" for the newest Macs.

keston
Feb 20, 2000, 04:45 AM
Problem solved. It turns out the cd drive needed to be set to master on its bus, not slave.

Adam Silver
Feb 20, 2000, 03:59 PM
Of course, the Yikes! G4 could be supported as it is essentially the same as a Yosemite G3 (but wth a G4 processor).