PDA

View Full Version : ADC Notes on Mac OS DP3's Classic environment

rtamesis
Feb 20, 2000, 09:06 PM
Go to http://gemma.apple.com/macosx/classic.html for detailed stuff on DP3's Classic environment and what's in store for the future.

gotterdamm
Feb 21, 2000, 07:30 PM
yeah, macnn already has a link to this on the front page. I read it today and the scariest part is that the developer says the system requirements to run classic inside of OS X is 64 megs.
man, that means you have to burn 64 megs just to get that side of the os up and running. That means all the users with standard iMacs will have used up all their physical memory just getting classic's environment up. With that in mind, all the apps you run in it will cause the system to dig deep into vram land, bogging it down tremendously.
I hope that Apple clears this up some how.

markhers
Feb 22, 2000, 03:00 PM
No, no. It means you will have to have 64 MB total physical RAM installed in your computer to be able to use MacOS X with Classic.app. You aren't handing Classic.app 64 MB, you're just giving the computer a fighting chance against all of the VM/mem swapping it has to do to run a whole other operating system in a virtual container.

For anyone interested, I'll be posting a breakdown of this document in the next couple of days for MacNN.