PDA

View Full Version : Follow-up OSX on a clocked beige DT G3

Han
Mar 24, 2000, 05:17 PM
Hi there !

Well, I tried some things to get os X installed:

- Set the processor back to 233 (original)-
- Connected the monitor to the standard internal video connector (Ati)
It was connected to a pci voodoo card.
- Disconnected my usb devices

I've got a external ide drive (IBM) with 5 partitions, 2 for linux and 3 mac hfs+.
One of the hfs+ drives has os 9 installed. On my internal hd (2 partitions) I have os 9 and os 8.6 installed.

I've tried to install osx with different results. It doesn't install, it seems to follow different scenario's for that. But it is consequent in its result, it won't install !

For example;

The cd won't boot at all.

The spinning disc (osx installer) appears but stalls after a while. Forced reboot is the way out, always.

But the last one was the most promising...

I've tried to boot from the os x installer cd and it booted with mac os 9!
But the finder stalls, a window appears, only with a ok button, after 2 force quits a mesage is displayed, stating that it can't unlock the start volume. I must unlock the volume.

right....

Remember that in the previous set up (clocked and with voodoo) the os x installer (spinning disc) appeared during start-up from the cd.

I am pretty expirienced mac user, but I am lost on this one.
I have no clue what to do.
If it was consistent in the way it refuses to install, I could find out why, or maybe have a work around for it.
But it isn't consistent, and I am running out of ideas..

The cd works, a friend of mine installed it on a mp 8500

Question,

Could it be that the extra internal drive is badly terminated?
Because Linux works fine, but the installed os 9 doesn't work that well.
The internal drive is good accessable.

Could the overall number of partitions cause problems?
My internal hd has 2 partitions and the extra internal ide has 5...

Thanks for bearing with me...

kind regards,

Han

rustychow
Mar 24, 2000, 08:44 PM
try disconnecting the external hard drive... That might help, and yes it might be that the sheer number of partitions is the problem. I think that 7 is the max for installation, and other than the 7 you mentioned, there may be hidden partitions that are screwing you. So try disconnecting the external ide drive.

BTW- how is it that you have an external ide dirve- I thought they only made internal ones. do you have LinuxPPC 2000 installed? just curious to know whether it's any good...

hope this helps http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/smile.gif

------------------
�rustychow

nibs
Mar 25, 2000, 12:41 AM
linux sucks. i'm planning on installing openbsd tonight on a rev d imac. i will not be net booting either. actually i might be a little harsh. linuxppc doesn't suck, it's just not that great. i had 99 not 2000 and i wasn't thrilled with it. i dropped it because enlightenment crashed and corrupted the whole file system but that was just one of many problems i had with it. 2000 might be more stable, i'm moving on to bsd and darwin. i've already got darwin.