PDA

View Full Version : OS X on a Clone

Kaylen
Feb 21, 2000, 09:45 PM
Anyone tried installing DP3 on a Power Computing? I have a PowerBase 180 upgraded to a 340 G3.. I have tried to get this done for a week, but no luck...I don't think it is going to be possible, but if anyone knows give me a write...

Stephen Bartels
Jan 2, 2001, 11:58 AM
I tried installing OSX on a Powerbase 180 with a G3 upgrade and **KILLED** the machine. It chimes on restart, the monitor light goes from yellow to green for 2 seconds and then back to yellow, the hard drives spin up, and if present, the CD spins up. But then nothing. The keyboard can be used to to reboot but the screen remains in sleep mode. I have removed the G3 and reinstalled the original 601e, removed all PCI cards, tried to boot from CD, removed the battery (the motherboard does not have a reset switch), and even tried disconnecting the hard drives. No change in behavior. Is it time to buy another Powerbase and move components over (ebay has them for about $100)? Or is there something else I should try? Any help would be appreciated.

JL!
Jan 3, 2001, 12:31 PM
How about buying a real Macintosh? That might work...

JL!

Stephen Bartels
Jan 3, 2001, 04:56 PM
I plan to just as soon as my AAPL stock shows a profit. That might take a while...

Geobunny
Jan 3, 2001, 09:33 PM
Did you try zapping the PRAM? I thought DP3 hosed my computer (G3/266 DT) as well until I tried zapping the PRAM.

When you start up your Mac, hold down cmd-option-p-r until you hear a second startup chime (Apple suggests you hold it down for 3 to 5 chimes, but that seems like malarky to me! http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/smile.gif )

------------------
Shh! Be vewy, vewy qwiewet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwors

grease
Jan 3, 2001, 10:33 PM
Better yet, reset the CUDA (it's a little reddish-orange button somewhere on the motherboard). Turn off the machine. Open it up. Push that button with a pencil or something non-metallic (it's real small) for a few seconds. Restart and all should be fine. Your date/time will be whacked, but you know how to fix that.

strobe
Jan 4, 2001, 10:05 AM
You'll have to edit the Darwin BootX OF executable

(or help me editthe MkLinux BootX app to load Darwin kernels)

Stephen Bartels
Jan 4, 2001, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to fix it last night. When I had removed the battery to reset the pram, I forgot to also unplug the computer. Doing both fix the problem. Guess I will stay away from OS X for now.