Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > QuickTime CPU usage

QuickTime CPU usage
t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2002, 03:19 AM

I have switched computers. I got the new Ti DVI, and before I had the Ti Rev. A. 500. On the older Powerbook every QuickTime movie seemed to run just fine, even the Divx movies. On the Ti DVI Quicktime movies seem to take a little too much CPU power. They actually take all 100% of the 800MHz. That seems a little too much, especially since the older Powerbook could handle the movies with leaving me CPU to work with. Am I missing something? I have QuickTime 5 Pro installed, which is what I had on the older PowerBook. I have all the same components. Why does a movie playback take up 100% on my new Ti DVI?

Any ideas?

Thanks

t

ps.: I have 1GB of RAM

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2002, 04:48 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by t_hah:
<strong>I have switched computers. I got the new Ti DVI, and before I had the Ti Rev. A. 500. On the older Powerbook every QuickTime movie seemed to run just fine, even the Divx movies. On the Ti DVI Quicktime movies seem to take a little too much CPU power. They actually take all 100% of the 800MHz. That seems a little too much, especially since the older Powerbook could handle the movies with leaving me CPU to work with. Am I missing something? I have QuickTime 5 Pro installed, which is what I had on the older PowerBook. I have all the same components. Why does a movie playback take up 100% on my new Ti DVI?

Any ideas?

Thanks

t

ps.: I have 1GB of RAM</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Because QuickTime 5.0.2 is badly broken because somebody at apple really blew it?

Quciktime used to use about 30% of cpu playig a mpg I have. With 5.0.2 it use about 80-100%.

Download QT 6.0 preview, and your cpu usage should fall to about 30% for the same MPG.

Will also save you a lot of battery time...

Sophus

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2002, 03:51 PM

Alright, so they have screwed QT up? That sucks. I am glad that I am not the only one thinking that 100% CPU usage for one movie's playback is a little too much. I did download Qt 6, but then downgraded to 5, because my friends Divx movies would not run. So right now I can run them, but only by using crap loads of CPU.

Hm...any other thought on this? Anyone?

Thanks

t

Forum Links
Forum Rules