Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can You Delete an Email Sent from Entourage?

Can You Delete an Email Sent from Entourage?
KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 10:46 AM

If they didn't read it- can you get it back?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 30, 2005, 11:52 AM

Nope.

Internet email has no capability to do this, regardless of what email client you use.

tooki

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 12:00 PM

You need to get a GMail or similar account that forwards your emails to you.

That way there is a copy left on a server.

A lot of ISPs have webmail also. For instance, with Bellsouth it is http://webmail.bellsouth.net

In Entourage go into "ACCOUNT SETTINGS" and click on the email account that is in question.

Next, click on "Options"

Go down to "Server Options"

Then go to "Leave a copy of each message on the server" and select the days you want it left on. That way you can:

1. Go into your ISPs webmail system (which is the same email you can access from any computer by logging onto their server system - same as AOL) and read the email or

2. It will keep downloading it to your email program each time you open it.

I use GMail because it's the best and holds all my emails and I can forward email to each account I want to. Also, you can set your "Reply to" email account in Entourage to reflect your GMail account instead of your ISP account so people automatically reply to GMail and not your regular ISP email.

Good luck!

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 12:13 PM

I guess my best option is to follow up the drunk email with a sober email explaining myself. Oh boy! It wasn't THAT bad. Just wasn't something I would have said sober. Wish me luck!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
I guess my best option is to follow up the drunk email with a sober email explaining myself. Oh boy! It wasn't THAT bad. Just wasn't something I would have said sober. Wish me luck!
I wish you well KeriVit. We all say things at times that we are sorry for afterwards, an apology should correct the situation.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 30, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
You need to get a GMail or similar account that forwards your emails to you.

That way there is a copy left on a server.

A lot of ISPs have webmail also. ...
Uhh, the question was how to un-send a message that hasn't been read yet. Internet email does not have that capacity, no matter what your ISP is and what program or method you use to send email. (Some non-internet email systems, such as the private message system here on MacNN, do offer un-send.)

tooki

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 09:41 PM

hh, the question was how to un-send a message that hasn't been read yet.
I see. Well, that's a tough one. I think once it's zapped over I guess that's it. I know, however, with some AOL accounts that you can "unsend" it, right? At least that's what I thought.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 09:46 PM

in case anyone cares, it worked out ok, thank God I practiced SOME restraint in my rant last night. Mom is fine and took it well...

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 09:47 PM

BTW- I was able to find some evidence about the possibility of retrieving a sent message IF it was sent via Outlook- probably intranet though.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 10:00 PM

I've done that before, to be honest.

I've actually sent emails to a couple of employees and the next morning was in a race to log in and erase them.

Sir Arthur Dent
May 30, 2005, 10:23 PM

Mom is fine and took it well...
Youch.

ink
Mac Elite
May 30, 2005, 10:32 PM

BTW- I was able to find some evidence about the possibility of retrieving a sent message IF it was sent via Outlook- probably intranet though.
Yeah, it's funny. It sends a message with a subject line that goes something like "So-and-so wants to retract message with subject "I teh miss u soo muuuch!". Then, the body of the message says something Pythonesque like "Please erase and disregard the message with the subject 'I teh miss u soo muuuch!'" I was setting up a company-to-company VPN with another network engineer, and he actually tried to do this unsend on the VPN pre-shared secret...

It might work on emails that stay on a single server until delivery; but even many small companies have multiple mail servers.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 30, 2005, 10:49 PM

Unsending mail on Outlook (=MS Exchange server) and AOL can work because neither Exchange nor AOL are actually Internet mail -- they are both proprietary email systems that have been outfitted with Internet email gateways. (Both Exchange and AOL existed before the internet caught on, and neither one originally was able to send email onto the internet.) Neither one can unsend a message sent onto the internet.

The Internet email protocols (SMTP, POP, and IMAP) have zero capacity for unsending messages. Any message that has been sent onto the internet is irreversible.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules