Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > cd sould problem on 8500

cd sould problem on 8500
whtgrower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2000, 01:26 PM

I can not get any sound out of my 8500 when playing an audio cd. I t worked perfectly under 8.6, and I don't remember if I have ever used it until today under os9. Alert sounds come out of the speakers fine, I checked the sound control panel and mute is not checked. Audio player shows that the cd is playing, but no sound!! Any ideas??

bluedog
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2000, 02:07 AM

Do you have apple's voice recognition software installed? I've had wierd things happen when it locks down the 'sound-in' portion of the sound control panel.

Usually its a matter of checking CD-in and then checking the box for 'play sound through output device'

If that's not your problem, then I'm not sure what else it could be. There were changes in from 8.6 to 9 concerning sound.

Ironfoot
Dec 5, 2000, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by whtgrower:
I can not get any sound out of my 8500 when playing an audio cd. I t worked perfectly under 8.6, and I don't remember if I have ever used it until today under os9. Alert sounds come out of the speakers fine, I checked the sound control panel and mute is not checked. Audio player shows that the cd is playing, but no sound!! Any ideas??
I had similar problems with my 8600 but it was'nt the new System. Finally I found out, that the CD-audio-cable had slipped off from the soundboard. (The CD-audio-cable leads from the CD--Rom-drive to the soundboard.)

[This message has been edited by Ironfoot (edited 12-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ironfoot (edited 12-05-2000).]

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2000, 09:20 AM

Try SoundJam by Cassaday&Greene, it will play thru the data lines, not analog out from the CD(you don't need the 2-wire audio cable then)...you also get a decent equalizer and can play audio from an external.

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2000, 12:27 PM

Do you have apple's voice recognition software installed? I've had wierd things happen when it locks down the 'sound-in' portion of the sound control panel.

Usually its a matter of checking CD-in and then checking the box for 'play sound through output device'

If that's not your problem, then I'm not sure what else it could be. There were changes in from 8.6 to 9 concerning sound.
Very true. The only thing that can work around this in a simple way is to use the "sound input control strip" and there only, you are able to choose which input you want the sound to be dedicated to. If this still doesn't work, I would trash the sound preference file if I were you. I've had a couple of troubles with audio in the past and trashing the preferences file has solved the problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules