Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PLEASE G5 Owners a few Q's SONY DVD RW DW-U10A DVD+RW

PLEASE G5 Owners a few Q's SONY DVD RW DW-U10A DVD+RW
60-hz
Jan 10, 2004, 10:22 PM

If any of you G5 owners have a superdrive i would appreciate if you could answer a couple of Q's that has been puzzling me for the last 24hrs.
I currently have an iMac 1Ghz with a SONY DVD RW DW-U10A supedrive model. And currently bought some TDK DVD+RW discs and no mattter what software i use i cannot write to the discs. Now i can write to DVD-R discs without a problem but i haven't tried burning to a DVD-RW as yet, i haven't tried burning to a DVD+R disc either yet.

Now i read that some of the G5's have the same SONY DVD RW DW-U10A, here's a couple of questions for you folks.

Has any of you managed to burn a DVD+R and/or a DVD+RW with this drive?

I heard that this drive supports both DVD+R and DVD+RW but Apple crippled the firmware to only allow burning to DVD-R and DVD-RW only media, is this true?

Also heard that Disc Copy and the other iApps dont support the DVD+R and DVD+RW media, but i read that Toast should support this media, is this the case?

Supposedly Panther supports all types of media look here, http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatu...essionals.html

Please someone help me out here i cannot even find out if my drive may actually be any different than the one's in the G5's?

I am trying to find as much info on this as possible and have posted a topic in the iMac forum and the feedback didn't confirm anything solid. I also posted a topic here, http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198666 and yet its a different story over there also.

Please please someone set my mind at rest.

Thx

Yet check out
" 17" iMAC 1Ghz 768MB x4 Superdrive"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 11:34 PM

I can't help with the Sony drive directly, but I can tell you the Pioneer DVR-106D in my dual G5 w/ 10.3.2 will burn DVD+RWs (along with typical DVD-R and DVD-RW) directly from the Finder. Don't have a DVD+R to try.
The iApps do not support the "+" formats, but the Finder seems to, as does Toast.

FlatLyna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2004, 07:51 AM

Hi 60-hz

I'm running a DW-U10A that I added to my G4. I haven't tried any +R or +RW disks as other players I have wont read them.

The issue of not working with the TDK's is more than likely due to the firmware not recognising the dye+disk type they use and therefore not being able to write to the disks.
Check out the Firmware forum and you'll see that its a universal problem as disk manufacturers bring out new disks and the drive manufacturers provide firmware to allow them to be used.

I have heard people say that Sony's support of the + format is substandard as they favour - format (which is prevalent in Japan), but that is just hearsay.

I've had burning problems with the drive in Toast 5 getting drive sense errors and such, whereas Toast 6 has performed flawlessly for me. I've been using a mixture of Apple, Memorex and Benq disks. I've just gotten some cheap Infiniti 2x DVD-R's to try also.

In all honesty don't worry about the + format disks unless you've got a Philips DVD+R standalone, its unfortunate you've already bought some media though!

Cheers,
Nick R
Nick

G5 DP2.0Ghz 970FX 2Gb R9800XT Sony Superdrive
15" Al PBG4 1GHz 768Mb

60-hz  (op)
Jan 12, 2004, 11:45 AM

Thanks mate,

I took the DVD+RW discs back to the store and got a refund. Popped along to the local computer store and tried to get some DVD-RW discs but they didn't have any, i'll pick these up later.

Just picked up 10 DVD-R discs for �10 and they burn perfectly at x4
" 17" iMAC 1Ghz 768MB x4 Superdrive"

Forum Links
Forum Rules