Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Are my pages ok?

Are my pages ok?
osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2004, 07:16 PM

I searched for this but didn't find a decent answer. My page-ins/outs seem quite excessive. I restarted my machine yesterday and only had azureus on overnight. Today I have 216472 pageins and 136673 pageouts.

I have 384MB Ram and Azureus was only using at most 300MB or so Ram. I often find that I get in excess of millions of page-ins/outs over a few days.

I have also read that the page-outs should be as close to zero as possible and that the system runs more effectively with a static swapfile.

What I find is the main problem after the machine being on a long time is that waking up from my screensaver is slow and also changing to another open application - at least one that uses a lot of ram and hasn't been used for a while.

One thing that annoys me most is the wasted disk space. My swap files go 64MB 128MB 256MB and 512MB and when I quit apps, rarely does it free space until I restart. Is there a reason that small swapfiles aren't used or a dynamically sized single swapfile?

A dynamically sized single swap would allow better freeing of space.

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by osxrules:
One thing that annoys me most is the wasted disk space. My swap files go 64MB 128MB 256MB and 512MB and when I quit apps, rarely does it free space until I restart. Is there a reason that small swapfiles aren't used or a dynamically sized single swapfile?

A dynamically sized single swap would allow better freeing of space.
But it would complicate (add bugs) and slow down the VM... both bad ideas. The rule of 2 has proven to be a good memory allocation technique time and again, to the point that it has become nearly axiomatic in CS. People have put a lot of time and thought into this, and not come up with better solutions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules