Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > For those into polls: Terror/Iraq

For those into polls: Terror/Iraq
spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 12:20 AM

i thought this would generate some interest here among those who love to cite polls...

While a bare majority of 51 percent called the Democrats' victory "a good thing," even more said they were concerned about some of the actions a Democratic Congress might take, including 78 percent who were somewhat or very concerned that it would seek too hasty a withdrawal of troops from Iraq.

Another 69 percent said they were concerned that the new Congress would keep the administration "from doing what is necessary to combat terrorism," and two-thirds said they were concerned it would spend too much time investigating the administration and Republican scandals.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N11417154.htm
( Last edited by spacefreak; Nov 14, 2006 at 12:28 AM. )

marden
Baninated
Nov 14, 2006, 12:54 AM

Oh how unfunny it would be if the liberals had to march on Washington to protest the proposed pullout from Iraq!

I have a feeling that some of the Democrats they elected are true believers and are going to do their best to make good on their election promises to PULL THE FxxK OUT OF IRAQ!

Liberals, you might have created a monster!

Can you say, "Fail Safe"?

Or do you like a little humor with your twisted irony? In that case try, "Dr. Strangelove."

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
i thought this would generate some interest here among those who love to cite polls...

While a bare majority of 51 percent called the Democrats' victory "a good thing," even more said they were concerned about some of the actions a Democratic Congress might take, including 78 percent who were somewhat or very concerned that it would seek too hasty a withdrawal of troops from Iraq.

Another 69 percent said they were concerned that the new Congress would keep the administration "from doing what is necessary to combat terrorism," and two-thirds said they were concerned it would spend too much time investigating the administration and Republican scandals.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N11417154.htm
it's interesting that bush's ratings fell even farther (to an all-time low - 31%) after rumsfeld's resignation. is it a manifestation of anger for "too little, too late" felt by the voters?

with regard to the terror stats, i don't believe that the democrats were elected into office based on any clear plan for iraq, rather a failure by top admininstrators (mostly "-R"'s) to face the facts of the situation there and offer any real solution (the stalwart "stay the course" -> "stray the course" recently).

as evidenced by the numbers, i think voters were most motivated by medicare (92%), federal minumum wage, no bid contracts (both 89%). and i do agree that over-hyped investigations into bush et al. will only further pigeon-hole democrats as reactionaries, rather than visionaries. they'll really need to work to define their party and create a strong stance.
( Last edited by black bear theory; Nov 14, 2006 at 05:05 PM. Reason: with regards to RAILhead! :))
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
Liberals, you might have created a monster!
My god, wait till they actually get in office before you start your democrat-like prophesying of doom and gloom.

Thanks.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
While a bare majority of 51 percent called the Democrats' victory "a good thing,"
I love how when the Democrats win with just over 50% it's called a "bare majority", but when Bush wins with just over 50% it's called a "landslide".

marden
Baninated
Nov 14, 2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
My god, wait till they actually get in office before you start your democrat-like prophesying of doom and gloom.

Thanks.
Please. I'm just a man.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 01:37 PM

Please. I'm just a man.
MUAHAHAHAHAHAH

marden
Baninated
Nov 14, 2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
MUAHAHAHAHAHAH
I AIM TO PLEASE.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 02:05 PM

I AIM TO PLEASE.
Nice shootin', Tex [/sarcasm]

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 04:48 PM

With REGARD, WITH REGARD!!!11!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 06:30 PM

I AIM TO PLEASE.
"Stay the course"
GWB

Atomic Rooster
Nov 14, 2006, 08:59 PM

Dubya is still the Commander-in-Chief.

The democrat controlled congress controls the purse strings for the military and there is no way in hell they will cut it.

Best thing to do is get the generals together in a room with the political biggies and hammer out some new plans for Iraq.

The war room.

marden
Baninated
Nov 15, 2006, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Dubya is still the Commander-in-Chief.

The democrat controlled congress controls the purse strings for the military and there is no way in hell they will cut it.

Best thing to do is get the generals together in a room with the political biggies and hammer out some new plans for Iraq.

The war room.
You poor, misinformed posters. (shakes head from side to side)

Just for a moment ask yourself this...ready?

What if the current plan was the best plan?
Some of you would absolutely swear that the process of human gestation was messed up simply because it was lengthy, messy and or painful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules