Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac mini NOISY

mac mini NOISY
brauner786
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2010, 09:37 AM

I bought it 2008 I think, I upgrade the ram and the superdrive always work not very good. 3 weeks ago the superdrive just start to refuse to get cd and finally looks like is broken because I can insert a disk, and for a few day at start up the computer make so much noise. So I stop use it.
The noisy now sounds like fan or might be the superdrive, its not constant, is up and down sound, I do not know how to describe it.. I have not idea, it is very disturbing give me headache. Maybe if I disconnect the superdrive.?

any help will be very appreciate it

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2010, 10:15 AM

Your asking "Maybe if I disconnect the superdrive?".

Well, duh. That would be the obvious first step in isolating the source of the noise.

brauner786  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2010, 10:26 AM

how can I disconnect the superdrive?

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2010, 10:28 AM

My bad.

I have the latest mini server w/o an internal superdrive. (I use the external superdrive).
I jumped the gun and for some stupid reason assumed you were using an external drive.

You're going to have to open up the mini. If it's out of warranty (did you get AppleCare?) then search the Internet for instructions on how to do that.

brauner786  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2010, 10:42 AM

is out of guarantee. I opened when I upgrade the RAm. It is not going to affect the general operation, if I psychically disconnect the superdrive?

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2010, 11:24 AM

I think it is highly unlikely that disconnecting the internal Superdrive is going to cause a problem.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2010, 11:37 AM

It will work fine with superdrive disconnected. Running a 'minimal configuration' is part of Apple's standard technician training. That includes disconnecting the optical drive.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules