Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Switching from Windows to Mac?

Switching from Windows to Mac?
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jul 10, 2007, 08:36 AM

Hey guys, I own a Mac...thanks.

I am being a offered a part time job with my county fire service to do IT work and they all use the late and great WinXP. I was wondering what all does Apple do for Gov't buying. We also have software that is Windows only and we MUST use it because of Federal requirements. Do you guys think we should stick with the Windows system (HP's) or try to do a Mac with bootcamp and WinXP.

Everyone is actually interested in Mac except one guy who has the job now. He's 100% against mac but can't provide a reason. He just says there will never be a Mac network in -_____- County. I've ask why but never says anything.

So for all you IT guys how can we move over...What are some more pointers I can get? We need to have a very secure system because we use a lot of confidential information that can't get out.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 09:04 AM

Is the fire service looking to replace all of their computers, or is this just an idea you have? As nice as it would be to have all Macs, I do not really see the point of spending the money to replace their computers, and the time of migrating software and Windows installs (not a small job), just so that people can stare at a white iMac instead of a black HP.
If they are looking into replacing all of their computers and don't have to use that Windows application, then the Mac idea would be a good one.

I think you're going to have a hard time convincing the powers that be that it would be a good idea to spend all the time and money for no visible gain.

The guy with the Mac hatred is just being silly and is one of those people who are very anti-Mac, but don't even know why. Just let them be.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 09:53 AM

If they're not already planning on replacing all their hardware, now's really not the time to switch to Mac. Especially if there's Windows-only software that they need to use.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2007, 09:55 AM

Why would you do that? It involves spending money without necessity and it involves an OS that doesn't support a required application. Parallels and Boot Camp aren't going to make it fun for anyone.

iranfromthezoo  (op)
Senior User
Jul 10, 2007, 12:40 PM

well the county is in the process upgrading the computers. So I was wondering what the advantages would be if we switched.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 10, 2007, 12:49 PM

Gov't shouldn't spend that kind of money when cheapo boxes will do the job.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2007, 12:50 PM

If you can't think of any advantages, perhaps there aren't any?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2007, 12:51 PM

The better argument might be switching to Linux, where possible and feasible, simply because of the potential savings in money in both software and modern hardware that will run Vista adequately...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 01:23 PM

As much as I love Macs (and I've sold them for ten + years), if a computer is being used strictly to run Windows apps that aren't available for a Mac, then there's no point in switching. That's one of the first things I'd do when I sold computers; find out exactly what it was going to be used for. If it was a home computer, I almost always recommended a Mac. Business use is another matter.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
As much as I love Macs (and I've sold them for ten + years), if a computer is being used strictly to run Windows apps that aren't available for a Mac, then there's no point in switching. That's one of the first things I'd do when I sold computers; find out exactly what it was going to be used for. If it was a home computer, I almost always recommended a Mac. Business use is another matter.

Perhaps someday if Apple really focuses on improving their business offerings and makes the Mac a compelling platform we'll see more Macs in business, perhaps supplemented by Crossover Office.

Rumor
Jul 10, 2007, 01:53 PM

If the current system needs to be replaced, why not just build custom boxes?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Perhaps someday if Apple really focuses on improving their business offerings and makes the Mac a compelling platform we'll see more Macs in business, perhaps supplemented by Crossover Office.
Yes, we've had that discussion before. Getting the customer to see what's "compelling" is the tricky part, isn't it?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
well the county is in the process upgrading the computers. So I was wondering what the advantages would be if we switched.
So shouldn't the county be funding this? And then shouldn't it be their decision?

I don't see any reason to spend the premium for prettypretty Macs when HPs (that I can guarantee you you're getting at a significant discount because of a contract the county or state has with HP) will do absolutely fine.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 02:14 PM

If the county were to install a custom operating system that is virus free and that could not run popular games and can not accept software from people's home or allow them to take secrets home, then that would be reasonable and possibly worth a few extra dollars. sam

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by SVass View Post
If the county were to install a custom operating system that is virus free and that could not run popular games and can not accept software from people's home or allow them to take secrets home, then that would be reasonable and possibly worth a few extra dollars. sam
Macs won't let you download games or play at games.yahoo.com? Macs don't have email/web/usb ports to let you remove data? Between the firewall/web filtering service the county surely already has and the AV subscription they surely already have, the PC won't have much of an issue with viruses, either.

There are many places where a Windows PC makes perfectly good sense. When your main business app is Windows only is a good example of when.

Cold Warrior
Jul 10, 2007, 05:49 PM

Switching them to the Mac isn't a good idea. What they have works, and even if they're upgrading, they'll save money going with cheap Windows boxes. Also, someone will eventually replace you, and they'll most likely be a Windows guy.

hayesk
Jul 10, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
There are many places where a Windows PC makes perfectly good sense. When your main business app is Windows only is a good example of when.
My wife's aunt, a teacher, was told for years not to buy a Mac, because the school board software was windows-only. One day she visited with her thinkpad, and showed me the windows-only software. It was a FileMaker database.

Forum Links
Forum Rules